Books for MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Simon HEster, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Simon HEster

Simon HEster Bit Poster

Hi

Looking to purchase some books to study for my MCDST currently looking at the following by exam:-

70-271 - MCDST Self-paced Training Kit (exam 70-271): Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System - Pro-Certification (Paperback) by Walter J. Glenn ISBN 9780735622272.

70-272 - MCDST Self-paced Training Kit (Exam 70-272): Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Desktop Applications on Microsoft Windows XP - Pro-Certification (Hardcover) by Walter J. Glenn ISBN 9780735622210

1. Does any one know how good these are I figured given they are microsoft press books they should cover the exam material very well.
    2. Also i'm looking to go on and do MCSA can anyone tell me if the these books would be enough for the MCSA exam 70-270 or would i need to buy the book for that just trying to save some cash if I can
    Thanks for the help

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The MS press books are probably the best I have them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Simon HEster

Simon HEster Bit Poster

Hi forgot to ask anyone know a good place to buy them?

Looked at Waterstones buy they say 2-3 weeks for delivery. Also some on amazon they say they are new but don't want to get caught out as want to make sure i ge the CD's that come with the books and the free discount vouchers for the exams.

Want to try and get the books ASAP

Any pointers would be good.

Thanks again

4. greenbrucelee

waterstones will charge you £80 for both. Your best looking on Amazon.

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to Cert Forums.

I wrote a little Study Guide for the MCDST,

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread26216.html

In relation to the 70-270 exam, I would recommend buying the appropriate book as it covers more information that the MCDST set.

Hope that helps a little.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Whilst the mspress books are very good, you should'nt rely on one set of study material, when I did the MCDST I also used the exam cram books as I found they were also very good and alot easier to read at work!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. greenbrucelee

Good idea, I will be getting the exam cram books for it too.

I had 2 books for the A+, have 2 books for the N+ I suppose it's technically 4 for the MCDST :)

9. Mr-Blue-Sky

Mr-Blue-Sky Bit Poster

I paid just over £22 (incl P+P) fo one MS Press 271 book from Browns Books, an Amazon Market Seller.

The delivery was slow (2nd class) but it was a bargin and seems reliable.

Certifications: BSc Distributed Information Systems
    WIP: MCDST
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Sorry a bit late, but the Sybex book is the one I found to be the best. That and practical knowledge anyway :lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

There's a later version, Ken.

12. Simon HEster

Simon HEster Bit Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Bought the MS press books as a starter and will go from there.

13. geevee

geevee Bit Poster

I've just started on the MCDST as I thought it would be the best next step for me, I've gone for the Sybex book too - both exams covered in one (quite thin!) book seems a bit weird after the mammoth A+ and N+ books I've read but I've always found the Sybex books to be top notch! Fingers crossed :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-290, 70-621
  14. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Don't just use the Sybex book. The MS Training Kit is a must as well. Plus, get yourself some good quality sims, such as SelTest, MeasureUp or Transcender.