Books coming out the wazoo

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Jan 6, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I just completed a 13 chapter instructor's manual that accompanies a textbook on networking protocols and the same fellow just offered me another instructor's manual project to accompany a text on network security issues. It's not as big as the first project, but I can use the money.

That's three writing projects (two paid and one freebee) that I've got right now. Still no "day job" in sight, but I did get a call from a recruiter who has me in mind for a small, part-time call center gig. Again, nothing to get rich on, but every little bit helps.

I hope things will begin to snowball a bit more. Never know who's on the other end of the phone when it rings so it pays to sound really friendly, even if they just got you out of the shower.

That's the news so far, folks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Bruins

Bruins Bit Poster

I hear your pain, I'm in the same boat.
    Hang in there Trip, things will turn in your favor.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Hope so. Thanks, Bruins.

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Fingers crossed for you Trip, I'm sure something will surface soon enough.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Well, I've got a tiny, part-time job. I mentioned that Manpower called about a help desk type position. Actually, it's an on call position requiring that I carry a cell phone M - F, 8 thru 5. It would be supporting Suresupply for HP. It seems kind of interesting but they don't get many calls. The whole service is done online and, from what I can tell, it's almost idiot proof. It pays the same hourly wage I made at my last contract job but I'd probably starve if it was my only source of income. I took some of the online training today. Dialups $uck. First I had to download jukebox to play one piece of streaming audio then I had to download shockwave for the video pieces. It takes more time downloading at 26.4K than the whole freaking training. At least I get paid and they trust me to keep my own time on this.

I go into Manpower tomorrow at ten (hope the roads are relatively clear by then) to sign papers and talk to the big marketing guru in Seattle (by phone). After that, I carry a cell and answer the occasional call. I have to be at a phone conference every Tuesday at 10 a.m. It'll be interesting to see if I can keep this job as a sideline should something more fulfilling come along.

Got my notice from the employment office saying I hadn't made enough money in the past two years to justify getting unemployment benefits. They completely disregarded my work with the postal service and only counted some of the part-time work I'd done. I've got til the 20th to protest and protest I will. These jokers guard those benefits like it came out of their own wallets, not like my ex-employers paid into it. Meanwhile, my wife is working several slave jobs to try and make ends meet. Robbing a bank looks pretty good right now (just kidding in case there are any federal spies illegally monitoring my internet access and e-mails...get a warrant, guys).

Anyway, sorry to "bitch" like this. Some days are a little more trying than others. I'll feel better later.

6. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

In the U.S., when you work a job, your employer by law is required to pay into an unemployment insurance fund. If you get laid off or lose your job and it's not your fault, assuming you've worked long enough, you're eligible for payments from that fund until the money runs out. It's supposed to hold you over until you find another job. The payments aren't much and they don't last forever which is supposed to motivate you to find another job rather than sit on your duff and watch T.V. You have to report what sort of work you looked for every week and you have to take any job you are offered, no matter how odious it may be.

Needless to say, if you just get mad and quit or get fired for calling the boss a horse's @$$, no benefits. In this case, they don't seem to be taking my postal service job into consideration...perhaps because I quit to take that temp IT job...I'll call them and see. If they completely deny me, I'd better get some sort of job pretty darn fast.