Book Recommendations 70-290

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by JohnBradbury, May 12, 2006.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Hi Guys,
    I was wondering what books people would recommend for the Windows 2003 Server 70-290 exam?

Usually I'd purchase the New Rider edition but they have gone bust since I last sat an exam.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

MS Press is aparently good for this one. I have the Academic version of this book and have to admit that its good, it covers the topics, but I wouldn't recommend it as your only study guide.

The Mastering Windows Server book is a great one to use for reference, although its BIG!

As I havent passed the exam those are just the two that I would suggest. 8)

3. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

I used the MS Press book for this as well as the Sybex one.

I quite like the Sybex books, their style seems a bit less dry to me.

It's a personal kind of thing, I'd used the Sybex book for Network+ and I liked that so got this one too.

If you buy the MS book you do get a 180 evaluation version of server2003, self test software by measureup (about 400 questions), and a voucher for 15% of the cost of the exam.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  4. gbhpboy

gbhpboy Bit Poster

I used MS-Press book John, and found it good. It has some good labs / practical work, which is essential to passing this exam as there are sims in it.
    I used Exam Cram 2 as well. I like EC books, they are not complete but they do summarise things, give a different angle sometimes, have more questions in them and are easier to carry around !

Certifications: MCSA2003(Messaging)
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am using the MS press right now too, its a bit borring, but its not hard to understand, looks like its enough to pass, thats what I heard people recommended also.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. compwiz

compwiz New Member

Hello to everyone! I see that this website is located in UK. Does it matter if I live in the US? Currently holding a MCP in 2000 and planning to take the 70-290. Please let me know if any of you could give me some pointers or study materials.

Cheers,
    Compwiz:D

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hi compwiz you might want to pop into the new members forum and introduce yourself there and tell us where you are in your studies...

thanks!

and welcome to cf from me btw! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics