Book Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Lix, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Lix

Lix Bit Poster

Hi again,

At the moment I'm in need of some help. Currently for my work I need to learn some SQL and Linux. Can you guys recommend any Linux or SQL books? For Linux would it be a good idea to get a Linux+ book by sybex or McGrawHill? I'm not sure what to get for SQL to be honest. I need to learn how to run complex queries, replication and data manupulation, but the book would need to be for beginners really. I also need to learn abit about convergence, so I thought of getting the Convergence+ book by McGrawHill, anyone read this book or have any reviews? Any recommendations would be appreciated. For Linux I need to learn all basic sys admin stuff, security permissions, adding users, deleting users etc. thanks in advance.

WIP: CCNA Voice, CCVP, Convergence+, CTP
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

For an intro to SQL I found the 'Dummies' book was a good start.

For Linux it will depend on which distribution you will be using. Many of the popular distros have books published. But don't forget the man pages!

Regards,
    Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

A down-and-dirty way to find potentially good SQL books is to go to Amazon, limit your search parameters to "books", then search for "SQL". A list of books with their reviews will appear. Click on the links and read the reviews. That'll give you some idea of what others thought of them and if they're good to learn from.

As far as Linux books, it really depends on what exactly you want to learn. There are about a billion book resources plus all kinds of online help. The Linux Documentation Project is quite good and has no end of information regarding how to do just about anything in Linux. If you are looking for a basic set of tutorials that will teach you Linux from the ground up, The Linux Tutorial is very good. Both sites are pretty much distro neutral, so it doesn't matter for the most part which flavor of Linux you are running.

If you could narrow down for me what you plan to learn, I might be able to help you more. I review Linux books all the time and publish my reviews online, so I might be able to make some recommendations.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

As well as getting hold of the books, have you had a look at sqlcourse.com?

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Now that's a really useful link !

Rep given :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)