Body language

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mr.Cheeks, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

From the moment an interviewer sees you, they form an impression about what sort of person you are, and what kind of employee you would make. This is because even when we are not speaking, we are communicating.

The way we move, our gestures and what we wear all say something about who we are....

According to Julia Campion, of image consultancy First Impressions, during the first 60 seconds of an interview situation, 55 per cent of interviewers' first impressions are based on body language and appearance. Only seven per cent focus on the initial words we use.

So how can you appear more confident, even if your knees are trembling?

To read the rest of the article, click here...

2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

I like to think that many interviewers are normal people who don't necessarily conform to the myriad of articles written on their behavioral patterns.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

It's a long-proven fact that everyone responds to non-verbal communication more than verbal communication. That fact that interviewers do just says they are human.

How do you tell if somone is lying? By non-verbal clues. How do you tell someone is afraid? By non-verbal cues. How do you tell if someone is upset? By non-verbal clues. We read body language unconsciously, but we read it all the time and react to it immediately.

Far more communication goes on non-verbally than verbally. This is one reason why there are so many spats and little blow ups on fourms such as this. Someone may type something with a grin on their face, but since the person reading those words can't see that grin they take the words as written, when non-verbal clues from body language would have made them see that the words were meant in jest, or tongue-in-cheek. What may be perceived as gruff and unfriendly in this format very well might be perceived in another manner altogether if the reader could see the other person's body language while they are communicating.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

IMO an interview is a 2 way process they get to check me out and I get to check them out, There is a lot of talk about doing this doing that, say this say that etc etc I like to keep it real look them in the eye smile and ask/answer questions openly and honestly, I know people who just BS there way through interviews and it ends up biting them on the butt later on down the line.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  5. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Here's the rub -- just as many IT people have skillsets and certifications, so do other fields. Many HR people have degrees or studies in disciplines such as psychology, to provide their skillset for understanding people. Many times a second (or initial) interview is staged by HR, to gauge the kind of person interviewing for their company. Instead of techy stuff, they are determining:

1. Can this person function in our atmosphere? (many techies cannot, unfortunately)
    2. Is this person quick to assumption and/or anger?
    3. Does this person have the confidence and composure necessary to the position they are applying for?
    4. What 'red flags' is this person quietly waving, that I need to direct my line of questioning towards?

I could keep going, but you get my point. These people are trained to look for common indicators among humans, and investigate any issues verbally. I've seen training classes that instruct how to tell if a person is lying by the direction they look! Is that foolproof? Absolutely not. Does it work most of the time? Aaahh, probably enough to warrant its inclusion in your skillset -- these things are just data gathered by a majority of culminated reactions. Statistics! Man, everything's a database these days, it seems :rolleyes:

Regardless, the techniques in the article are good food for thought. As others have stated, good interviewers may not be formally trained, but they instinctively know how to read people. As the interviewee (is that even a word? :blink -- yep, sure is), it's imperative to know who is interviewing you. Sometimes, they just start the questions, and I would politely inquire about the role they play. Often times, the technical interview is done later, in an effort to weed out the problems ahead of time. Point is, it's much easier to answer when you know your audience.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's a minefield!

I've interviewed people and thought 'he's read the book on this - his eye contact is right, his handshake was good, his body language is correct...' etc. It makes you feel that the person has come out of a box and it isn't natural.

The overwhelming feeling is that they are hiding their true selves under what they think - or have been told - that an interviewer wants to see.

I've often taken on people who interview like sh1t if you go by the book, but you feel that you have 'seen' their true personality and have made your assessment from that.

And it does also come back to the rather heated thread a while back about if it would affect your chances if you walked in with a safety pin through your nose...

Sorry.
    Yes.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh, by the way, I'm not referring to anyone who may possibly be a member of this forum of course... :tune

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No of course not Jonny!

Going off topic for a second, I wonder how Boycey is doing studying for his 270 exam today :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

We've got our fingers crossed for him...

He'll be fine - he's a clever boy.

10. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

I have an interview on monday and dont know whether to look at this article or do what I normaly do (be myself).

Any suggestions?

I will assume most will say be Yourself

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526
  11. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

Just be yourself mate.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

So walking into an interview wearing a leopard skin thong, a cow boy hat and a lasso shouting "yee ha", wouldn't count as a good first impression even though it could be construed as an icebreaker? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Real leopard skin or fake?

Don't want to upset anyone, do we.

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Fake definetly :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009