Bluescreen IT Plymouth???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by keane14, Jan 8, 2009.

1. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

Hi guys,

Has anyone heard or used of the above training company in Devon i am considering training for the A+ with them, the course would cost me over a grand and that is without the exam fees. But iam finding it difficult to get practical experience and feel this would be a good course if they do what the say they do.

Regards,

Many Thanks.

Certifications: Comptia A+ 2009 Edition
    WIP: Network +
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think there has been something about these lot before (can't remember if it was bad or good).

Why are you struggling to get practlce experience for the A+? all you need is a computer then you could self study. You do not need to do a course but it's upto you.

I personally use the self study method as it's cheaper and there are no consequences of being tied to some company.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I take my exams at Bluescreen. Very hot receptionist :sexie

They seem like they are pretty switched on, they have been there for years. I did overhear them giving the old sales talk to a couple of guys once as I was leaving from taking an exam. Sounded like the usual training provider stuff to me, but I guess they have a business to run and need to get folks in the door. My advice would be to either self study as GBL said, or if you want to get some hands on experience and do your A+ for way less money Cornwall College used to have a branch in Saltash. Back about three years ago I did look into doing my MCSE with them. They did offer the A+ to adult learners as an evening class back then, for a few hundred quid. Now I don't know if they are still there but it's worth a look. Also try ringing the Swarthmore adult education centre at Mutley, they may have something or can point you in the right direction. If you really want to do your A+ in an instructor led environment I rekon you can get it for way less £££s than at Bluescreen.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I think you need to provide proof. :inc

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Not easy without potentially being done for stalking and loosing any future chance of getting a date with aforementioned hot receptionist...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nothing truly good is ever easy. :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking the time too reply,

I have an old computer that i can mess around with, i also have a couple of cd roms and have read the Meyers book a couple of times. I do have a bit of knowledge, but as somone said i need the blanks filled in.

I need to wait until September to enrol on the A+ at Truro college, and that is if i can get on the course as it is very popular. I am stuck in a job that i do not want to do, i find it difficult to study in my own time due to family and working hours and i just need a leg up so to speak. And maybe start on the Network+ instead in september.

The course with bluescreen IT will cost me about a grand, and that is without exam fees and i have to pay for a weeks accommodation and food as well as travel. But i feel it would be worth it because i feel i am treading water waiting for the course to start in September, and getting a bit frustrated that i cannot dedicate the time i need to at the moment.

If i have a qualification it maybe easier for me to get into a job in the IT industry. It is just something that i am considering at the moment i would rather not spend all that money if at all possible, but then again if spending that money helps me get to where i want to be it will be worth it.

sorry for the rant!!!

8. greenbrucelee

why do you want to do a course?

What is it you need help with?

you can practice and study on your own and if you need help then you can ask on here, it's free then all you need to do is pay for the exams and take them.

9. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

Thanks Greenbrucelee,

I do have a Dell Optiplex GX60 to mess around with, but i seem to be a bit stuck as what to do with it. I have taken bits out and put them back a booted the computer to see if it works okay and it does, but now i am a bit stuck.

I am reading the meyers book when i can but feel i need more practical experience, do have any suggestions as to what i can do?

Regards.

10. greenbrucelee

you could do all sorts of stuff, like reinstalling the OS provided you have the dosc and the motherboard drivers etc

The A+ isn't that advanced you don't need to be designing servers layouts and setting up domains or anything like that.

Basic knowledge of how computers work and what OSs do and how to troubleshoot is about all you need.