Bloody IT department

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Aug 1, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

:x

When I work at night, I am in room on my own with 7 servers 3 of which are RIPs.

The 1st RIP has the license server on it or its supposed to and the other 2 are slaves to that license server RIP 1.

Everything thats sent to an ouptut source like printers or the archive system goes through these RIPs.

Sometime the people who create the adverts for the newspapers produced at where I work will send an ad to their printers and if they dont get anything out in about 5 minutes they send it again or they just forget about it.

If their 'job' hangs in one of the RIPs then its a simple case of rebooting that particular rip and killing that 'job' from the print queue when it looses the connection. Then log back into the RIP.

This happened to me tonight and it was RIP2 that I had to reboot however when it came back up there was no connection to the license server, so I had to reboot that, still nothing, then I notice RIP3 was down so I did that. I was getting pissed off at this point :x

Then I noticed RIP 2 was responding even though the license server was down. I thought this is weird but I had no activity on my queues so this couldnt be the case.

So I rebooted RIP1 then 2 then 3 and finally all came backup, but from what I have seen is that RIP 1 is the license server but RIP2 has some of that service on it for everything else to run. Whereas it never was the case before I went on my holiday.

So the point being is Why cant the IT department tell me when they've made changes?

Its lucky it was me on nights becasue I understand networking a bit and know how our system works and not the new fella because he wouldnt have had a clue and would have probably phone me to come in.

Do any of you have this sort of trouble? (people changing things and not telling you)

And one final question can I put how I've sorted problems like this on my CV.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First of all, yes. Put it on the CV. I don't work in an IT department but I can tell you it's human nature to make goofy decisions. In a perfect world, every change you make to a server is put in some sort of log so that no one is in the dark as to changes. You just check the log for a server and see what others have done.

We don't live in a perfect world. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. greenbrucelee

Cheers Trip

I would have like the IT dept to inform me of any changes they've done.

If there is a log book of changes then that will actually be in our main server room, but because of new security settings I am still waiting until my fob key is set so I can access the main server room.

There were new security features install at work because a temporary staff member came in at a weekend and stole a laptop from a room at the top of the building, now the fob keys are set so you can only access areas to do with your job.

4. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like issues I have seen before with Fiery RIPs...not nice, but glad you got it sorted out!

The Fiery's usually work straightup okay but when they play up it can be a real pain for sure.

I hope they caught that temp...

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  5. greenbrucelee

The thing is with those rips is we used to run on sun solaris using Unix now were are on Windows server 2003 although I havent really noticed any stability issues although when having to fail back to the original state after a crash the Unix boxes did seem better as it seemed they were more dedicated.

I have just received my promotional code for the compTIA PDI+ beta exams, I need to find something to study from now, I dont know what but I'll find something :rolleyes:

6. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like Harlequin or Open-RIP....

Betcha that the three or four year old Solaris boxes are better performers and more reliable than the Windoz boxen [snicker]

But undoubtedly more expensive to boot...:rolleyes:

Good luck with the beta exam...

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  7. greenbrucelee

Open rip it was

Cheers for the good luck I think I will need it if accepted, I dont know what I should study or read up on :rolleyes: