Blackmail in the workplace...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by 1/4, Feb 11, 2011.

1. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

I've recently had a colleague whom I do not get on particularly well with sign onto her work account and then skype me personally with.

"I hear you're looking for work!!!"
    "Don't worry I won't tell work xx".

The MD would take a dim view of me looking for work, and basically I need advice on what to do here. I have kept a secure albeit not water tight lid on my career development plans.

I suspect that she may have signed into my skype on auto settings at work and read private history - due to the nature of my work (social networking etc) i used a personal skype account rather than a dedicated work one.

This person will use this information however she can to interrupt or make my life as miserable as she can...

I had a look on skype and it seems bereft of account log on audits etc, is anyone aware of a means to check my account sign-ins on skype?

:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Tell her you don't know what the heck she's talking about.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

If she knowingly accessed your account and read your private messages, she’ll be in a lot more trouble than you. Casually ask her if she’s been illegally breaching your privacy or hacking your user account? If there’s an issue made of it, ask her for confirmation that she was acting on behalf of the company, then start thinking about what to spend your thousands of ponds in compensation on if they sack you.:twisted:

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

As far as the blackmail goes - don't worry about it.
    It isn't even blackmail, she just knows something you'd rather she didn't.

It's a fact of life that everyone is always looking for another job, especially in the current uncertain climate.
    Your director probably is too.

It's highly unlikely that she will gain anything by sneaking up to him and telling on you. It will just make her look stupid and un-trustworthy, especially if it comes out how she got the information.

Besides, if you are of value in your current position, sometimes letting it be known that you have your feelers out can be a good thing...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I would just ingnore the comment or just deny it.

She hasnt asked you to do anything or said she is going to tell anyone.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If she mentions it again, you'll need the following items.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perhaps (rather ironically) use Skype to lure her to her new home. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

if all else fails raise the pimp hand! lol

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Question time, how hot is she? :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if something happened because of what has been seen on your account then you could have her done you might even be able to turn any situation to your advantage too

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I concur. If she wants to be silly and threatening about things, make sure there's no-one else around then - casually and nice and quietly - tell her you'll put her in the ground if she says anything about it. I'd advise using lime as well, rather than cement - easier to dig a hole in the ground, chuck her in it and cover the body with lime than it is to have to mix cement.

Seriously - if you don't want to take the direct approach, just totally and utterly ignore it. Provided the only way she can have found out about this is through illegally accessing your machine and SKype account, you have preceisely nothing to worry about.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

This.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Totally agree, how is she going to prove it other than prove she hacked your account and get herself sacked. Also to note it's not a criminal offence to look for another job. If anyone makes your life hell for it then speak to HR and keep a record to drag them to tribunal (sure it wouldn't get to than).

Plan B go with Modey's plan :biggrin.

and yes is she hot?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not a crime to be looking for work.

Just go up to her and tell her to stop causing trouble. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Be very careful with the above statement. Whilst it certainly isn't a criminal offence to look for another job whilst still currently employed (Lord knows I'd have done plenty of time for it if it was!) it may very well be verboten to do it on work time, using work resources. Most places have a staff handbook that expressly forbids this - and the sanctions are often (deliberately) not very well set out, leaving it open to interpretation as to how you can be punished for it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  15. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

I only ever look for work in my own time, at home. As for being hot... Guys - just no. If i told you that she is absolutely foul to look at. You'd still have a moment of shock upon seeing her.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680