Blackberry Server Advice - New Sim, New Phone, Same Tel Number

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Colloghi, May 25, 2011.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Been a while since ive been here, new site looks good :)

Anyway, i digress. A piece of advice please regarding BES

Were currently using BES 4.1, and Im not overley familar with it at all, and havnt dealt much with Blackberries in my previous places.

One of our users, is being issued with a new Blackberry,new Sim card, and wants his number transferring over to his new card. He will be going from T-Mobile to orange, as well and as such Ive got the PAC code ready to go ahead with the transfer.

I know i need to phone the supplier to get the number transferred over, but kinda stuck from there, and googling the issue seems to result in threads when users are changing sim, or phone - but not both.

I have in my head,
    backup the old Blackberry device,
    Click on the user in BES Manager - set a new activation password,
    activate the new Blackberry and then restore the backup to the new device

Im not sure if thats the best way to go? or would I be better off removing the user from BES and then just creating it as an entirely new user?

any help would appreciative

Last edited: May 25, 2011
    Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I do as you just said, set a new activation password and configure on new device with email and activation password - job done. We don't backup devices luckily. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It's fine as you've said. Once the number gets migrated, go 'manage users' and set an activation password. Stick the SIM in the new handset and enterprise activate it using the password.

Might be easiest to do the transfer of content through Blackberry Desktop Manager using 'switch device'. Plug in the old one, and it backs it up, plug in the new one and it restores it.

Remember to:-

1) Move the SD card!

2) Turn off wireless sync on contacts if you want to move these from one phone to another. If you don't do this, then you'll only be able to move contacts from phone to SIM one at a time, which sucks ass.

Any other questions/problems lemme know.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Cheers for the replies:) Hoping this will go as well s planned, as its the erm directors phone:|

again thanks

5. Qs

Just do a full backup of the phone and backup contacts etc to Windows address book / CSV before you do anything. :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well as typical with these things when its the most important person in the organization........things have not gone to plan:|

Everything seems to have transferred fine, but Im having issues connecting to the Blackberry server. When I try to activate it, it just dosnt seem at all to connect.

The blackberry is a blackberry torch 9800, and although 3G the conenction is currently GPRS.

When i try to activate, I get a message stating "Acquiring Service Connection", which after a few min fails and says unable to connect to service connector.

any ideas?

7. THXbob

THXbob Bit Poster

You got the blackberry services enabled on the new sim etc?

The easiest thing I did when we upgraded our 9000 Bolds to Torches was use the Blackberry Desktop software to backup and restore to the new device. Then I deleted the user account off the BES connected the new handset to the server via USB and recreated the new account, assigned the new device to the user and activated the handset that way.

Thats all and well if you can physically get to the handset.

HTH

Robert

WIP: CompTIA A+ and Network+
  8. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

As stated above, are the BB services enabled on the sim? I've had this before, pulling my hair out and our switchboard forgot to enable the BB services - soon as enabled boom it worked!

Also may be worth a try connecting via USB to sync the device if possible on the server, if this works and it doesn't get any new emails... then you know its the service! if it works.... result? :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  9. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thanks Guys. i was just about to post and say ignore my Last Post:)

Despite being told yesterday that all services would be ported over including the Blackberry email service. This hant been done because this had not been paid for when the Blackberry Sim was purchased.....................:| hence why it cant connect. I hadnt ben involved in the purchase of the Blackbbery or the sim and had just been asked to set email up......and had previously been told the extra service had been paid for....

Its always annoying with things like this, espcially when you are trying to point out to the director, the IT part of it is running perfect:D and you can see the look of disbelief in his eyes:P

10. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

lol - love it, always someone else! you just assume someone would tell you or not make that mistake in the first place! One thing I've learnt is never assume people do things right! :)

11. Qs

Had this the other week on MY blackberry. Was checking my work emails at Alton Towers (as you do) and noticed nothing had come through for a day or so.

Back at work on the following Monday, checked all BES settings, recreated user, reactivated - nothing.

Phoned up O2 who said the service was definately on the SIM (why would it be removed for no good reason, they said).

After more checking, I demanded to be put through to their blackberry 'expert' who confirmed it was all fine.

...two hours later, the Blackberry magically started working again.

I received a very apologetic phone call soon afterwards saying that they had disabled the service on their relay. When I asked how this had happened without any sort of direction by me, they said it was (and I quote) 'a glitch'.

...Idiots.

Qs

12. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well I am actually going to throw this thing through the window, after Ive stamped on it 12 times exactly.

the BES thing is now enabled on the sim card apparently, and after spending about 25 mins trying to activate the thing. it decided i need a software update which went smoothly and then decided to remove the enterprise email featue completely, meaning i couldnt set it up at all.

A reboot later and were back to the contacting server status.............ive recreated user and sent a new Activation pin in this time

Now the error Im geting is the BES has not responded to your activation request, looking at more details has the folowing error:

- The email address is entered correctly (which it isnt)
    - Activation email has been moved or modified frm your inbox by spam/attachment software or email rule( not had any issues with other blackbeery set ups, and its fine if I do it to the old BB device - also the Spam filter isnt showing as blocking etc)
    - You have not yet been added to the BES (yes they have:) )

on the BES server, it is just showing as the user being in intializing status...........

13. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I know sometimes we have trouble with our BES server and need to restart the services to give it a kick sometimes. Are you in a position to try it via USB from the server directly?

I've not experienced what you've explained though...

The email address is entered correctly (which it isnt) - That may be your problem ;)

14. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

That was meant to read (which it is) :P

ive tried restatring the bb services to no avail, so just on the phone to orange again. ive got this nagging feeling its been set up wit BIS to the sim and not BES.........hmmmmmmmmmm

15. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Just to update this. The bloody thing is still ongoing............

Orange refused to talk me, as Im not named on the account........but they assured my colleague it would be set up by last night.

Were still having the same issue, although I have managed to connect it to the server by USB. However it is still stuck in the intiallizaing phase. I have restarted the services, deleted and re-added the user to no avail. It just will not activate with our server.

Similary we had an issue with another user, and once set up with the right plan.......worked fine. So im convinced its the data plan.............its annoying

16. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well this has been resolved.............sort of

After the worst customer service I have ever experienced, involving speaking to numerous people, and being cut off numerous times.....the issue was the data plan

It turns out we did not have a business account set up with Orange for the SIM card and it had been purchased for was dosmetic use and not Business use. As such the domestic card had been set up with Blackberry Internet Service, and not Blackberry Enteprise Service and hence why it couldnt be activated

Very annoying and frustrating considering the BES feature had been asked for numrous times, and I had queired the data plan with no success.

Thanks to one decent agent called Craig at orange for actually paying attention, and resolving this issue as quick as it should hev been in the first place.

all fun and games:)

17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The joy of Blackberry :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Oh yeah, the joy of Blackberry:D

meant to add on this, although it was resolved..........in a way.

It turns out that to actually have a business account for the BES data Plan with Orange. You need to have 10 BB's to the account. We only have this one Handheld with orange, and the other 6 we do have are with T-mobile

So after all this, the decision has been made that the user will go back to T-mobile:|

ah well, only wasted my time on this........ nothing spectacular:)