Blackberry mop up planning

Discussion in 'Software' started by dales, Nov 10, 2011.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Not sure if this is just me or not but is anyone starting to plan (or think about planning) for the possibility of RIM colapsing in a heap.

What with the rather major system issues they've had recently ,playbook sales failures and gmail now deprecating their mail app I'm starting to wonder about consumer confidence in them and their future.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

We're looking to move away from blackberry in full next year i think.

Smartphones can do everything they can email/exchange wise and more, and even work out cheaper on some!

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yes we have some staff on active sync as well but I'm not entirely happy with activesync compared to blackberry, how do you go about securing the activesync account from the device seeing as the controls are rather basic and I'm not sure if disallowing unsigned apps (for example) will work on iphones,droids and windows phones as well.

I like the granular control even besX gives you so it would be a shame if they went under but I've got to at least be thinking about it now.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Any comments are my own and SHOULD NOT be taken as necessarily reflecting the views of my employer...

I happen to like BBS. It's generally a solid device, it's easy to manage from the BES (applying policy and so forth), there are new devices coming through that look good (indeed, the 9800 is a really nice device... got one in front of me as I type this). You've got the likes of BES Express too, the new SharePoint client, etc. And yes, I do have a Playbook in front of me too, and I do like it too. Once RIM get a policy that can lock the thing down, I reckon it's got legs.

Yes, I assume people will jump ship because of the outage the other week, but then people told Apple that iPhone was crap when they had their issues and no doubt couldn't wait to get HTC or BB.

So I for one hope it carries on... oh and my other device is an HTC so I'm not biased.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I don't think they will Collapse they have to big of a user base for that over the next 5 years or so there numbers will decline I expect but they will still be a player in the corparate phone market.

We are starting to get a lot more iphones in the work place now.

Certifications: A few.
  6. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

you can use the Iphone Config utility to apply Policies to the iPhones that can tie them down a bit

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

We had another blackberry outage this morning, which i beleive was at RIM's end again.

I have a Desire S, and it hooks up flawlessly with exchange (just upgraded to 2010) and it also works well synchronizing with Lync 2010, things like people's directory photgraphs come through aswell. Email, contacts, tasks and calendar all sync nicely.

I'm not massively clued up on the setup we have, but upon setting up the account on android and iphone - it enforces a password policy, and will wipe the whole phone after 8 incorrect password attempts, so if it gets into the wrong hands in that sense it isn't too bad.

As you say with the app's etc - that could be a whole different ball game, i guess there are ways to enforce policies like this but i wouldn't have a clue where to start! :D

I guess we'd also save a fair bit of cash if we left blackberry, we wouldn't have the need to run the servers (We have about 30 odd servers for BES) so that's them made redundant and license fee's saved.

I feel blackberry are becoming outdated, similar to the way Nokia just stuck with Symbian OS's - alot of blackberry's are still Java based (I think?)

8. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

There is quite a few programs that can lock and encryted iphones for the corprate environment.

Certifications: A few.
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

How did you come to this conclusion? And I don't think BBs are about to disappear just yet :)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  10. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster