Blackberry maker RIM says co-chief executives step down

Discussion in 'News' started by GiddyG, Jan 23, 2012.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Blackberry maker RIM says co-chief executives step down

Blackberry maker Research In Motion (RIM) has said its co-chief executives Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie have stepped down in a shake-up.

Mr Lazaridis, who founded RIM in 1984, will become vice chairman. Mr Balsillie will continue to sit on the board but not have any operational role.

Chief operating officer Thorsten Heins will replace them on Monday.

Investors have called for a strategy change as the company struggles to compete with Apple and Google.

Full Story here

porta2_tags:

Comments

1. StephenTC
      StephenTC
      I think it's a little sad that RIM is losing a lot of business to Apple.

Mr Lazaridis probably stepped down to avoid all the manual handling of complaints, feature requests, and business changes they will need to make in order to prevent a complete market share loss!

Don't get me wrong, I love iOS and the amount of applications and games available on iPhones and iPads, but I think BlackBerrys are more suited to business and the office environment... It's a shame they are dying :(
      Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    2. Gav
      Gav
      You've clearly never used BES :eek:
    3. Boffy
      Boffy
      Haha, I wrote something similiar and deleted it thinking perhaps I'd sound daft.

I constantly have to reset another company BB because:

a) emails aren't appearing or
      b)device keeps resetting itself

In November the company's mobile policy is up for renewal, I'm pushing for iOS devices 8)
    4. Gav
      Gav
      Out of interest, how are you planning on managing them? I think it's great that all companies are really pushing ActiveSync (I was amazed to find out that even Google support ActiveSync now with GMail!), but ActiveSync alone really isn't enough to manage devices.

Apples idea of getting users to manually install config files really doesn't appeal to me either.
    5. Boffy
      Boffy
      TBH it isn't something I've looked into - over the Summer I'll be researching the current technology.

However, after speaking to a friend who works for a large radio station - they've just deployed iOS (iphone/ipads) to the entire building and said that setup was quite simple and could manage them comfortably.

Urgggh, hopefully its not that bad 8)