Blackberry Bold and A BB Storm 9500

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by onoski, Apr 14, 2009.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Just finished setting up a blackberry bold 9000 for a manager at work as well as a BB storm 9500 for another manager off site.

To be honest the BB 9000 blows the dust of the BB storm 9500 and no doubt if I had the dosh would get the BB 9000 brilliant piece of gadget yet:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Really? The Storm looks like a nicer phone to use. Looking at both of them, I wish I had the opportunity to play around with, I mean evaulate them against the iPhone & Nokia instead of the curve 8900 :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I love my bold. Its fantastic.

The storm seemed clunky. Its not really a touch screen interface in the same way as the IPhone, rather, its like buttons under the screen and you physically have to press it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I've been using the Bold since August '08 now and it's brilliant. Be sure to upgrade it to the latest BB OS as some of the older builds are extremely buggy. I've seen the Storm and was utterly unimpressed by it.

5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I actually installed the east asian firmware onto my bold. Although a little fiddly to pull off, it worked fine (once I figured out that my auto-update in the desktop manager app was overwriting my firmware whenever I plugged it in).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Storm = biggest pile of **** I've ever had the misfortune to use. Our MD got it the day it came out last year. He didn't bother using for five months then went away to a sales conference. He brought it into the office the day he came back and ordered one of us to swap with him. I drew the short straw - the next 24 hours were the most frustrating time of my entire adult life. In the end I snapped and told the IT Director that if I didn't get my Bold back, I just wouldn't use a Blackberry fullstop. It is the most ridiculous piece of crap ever designed - nothing works properly on it, and if you have to type more than three messages a day it is practically unusable.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'm on my second bold, blew my speaker out so the ringtones where busted but still a great peice of kit, the wifi sucks the battery to heck though

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yeah! this is correct as I had the opportunity to first configured and attach the Blackberry storm 9500 to our BES server five months ago. The install was straight forward and worked well with exchange server mail push etc.

However, the screen responsiveness on the storm was a big put off and was praying the end user don't bother me with it's not working properly etc. I personally think you did not miss anything with not having a chance to test or play with the BB storm.

Blackberry or RIM should I say were trying to have a crack at the iphone but unfortunately it was a rush work and hence this current end result.

I would be getting the HTC tynt II as known as Kaiser, P4550 or MDA vario 3 and would write up my findings in due time. I hear someone saying old technology and rightly so but I love the good reviews it's received as well as the large screen and Qwerty keyboard:) Cheerio.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Very funny:), but must be true from what I've experienced so far with having to use and set it up.

10. dreadpiratesteve

dreadpiratesteve New Member

The main thing with any phone is never get them the day they come out. No matter how much hype surrounds it. Simply the software is just too unreliable, no matter how much testing the handset undergoes. I would wait a few months for it to become reliable! As for the Blackberry's, I would not recommend the Storm as a business phone. It is an iPhone competitor and aimed at that market. I am waiting for my upgrade in July so I can get me the 8900!

WIP: A+
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Steve, just curious as to why you'd want to go for the curve 8900 considering the BB 9000 has the full works and loaded. Well guess it's down to preference:)

12. dreadpiratesteve

dreadpiratesteve New Member

size! The 8900 is smaller! I have small hands so find holding the 8900 more comfortable than the Bold! As you say, it's individual preference!

WIP: A+
  13. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

I'll second that, I have been using one since its launch in December, utter rubbish! Of the five storms that we trialed, 3 have been replaced due to hardware faults, one unit has been replaced 3 times now and has broke again!

My storms battery lasts about a day, yes I have to charge it everyday, blackberry really messed up with this device.

Give me a curve with the latest firmware anyday, rock solid dependable piece of kit that you don't have to treat with kid gloves when typing an email.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  14. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I'll be getting a Bold from work at the end of this month. Options were either the Pearl or the Bold! Anything's got to be better then the god awful Nokia E50 I have at the mo!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...