BIS or BES?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Boycie, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

We have a client who has only 3 Storm handsets and wants the full functionality of BES who is currently running BIS.

I have been asked to document this and give the client the option of both with associated costs with pro's and con's. Any articles, or just general pointers appreciated!

I hope they do go for BES as it will be another project to get stuck in to :onthepc

Cheers,

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Are they currently set up with exchange/lotus notes/groupware?

Would you expect their blackberry user base to expand in the future?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Hi,

Currently running Exchange 2007 on Server 2008 so need to do some digging to make sure it will work.

As for the user base, it may do although only by one or two i would have imagined.

Cheers,

4. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

Do they have a spare 2003 Server?

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/offers/professional_express.jsp

First licence is free and then I believe its £99 per handset

Worth considering

One other thing, I am assuming they are with Vodafone, if they dont already have it, there might be a charge from Vodafone for the enterprise action required for BES on the handsets

Andy

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

yea we had problems with BES running on 2008 server had to put it on a 2k3 server.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Here is one thing that I'd bring up... granted with only 3 clients, it isn't a huge deal.

The licensing cost gets out of control. Approximately $99 per BES license. Approximately $50 a month per device that requires the Blackberry Enterprise Service. Also, now a new annual per device charge on top of the above charges. It just seems to be a big cash cow. Smartphones can connect to an Exchange network without all of the added fees and costs.

Of course, the managers here don't care. :)

Regardless, those would be the cons. The pros... well, it gets them their email... that's about it. :) I like the fact that if they are company phones, you can wipe and lock the phone remotely should an employee quit or the phone is lost. This is great to keep company information confidential.

Good Luck!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Guys,

Thanks for all the input and links! they must decide if they need the full functionality of BES Express and the cost of a new server etc.

i'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Why not BPS? (BlackBerry Professional Software)

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/professional/

I think it goes upto 15-30 users and would be ideal for what you need.

BIS is ok but only supports email so no calendar or contacts which is the first thing users complain about.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Yep I'd go for this, also while Blackberry give you one license your mobile provider will be able to bundle more free (O2 were offering us an extra 5 licenses, further licenses were about £250 for 5 users)

On top of that just your line rental will go up for each device to accomodate BES

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Guy's sorry about the delay in getting back to you on this one. I guess the sudden urgency of this will disappear as they need another server to put 2k3 on.

Sparks and BrizoH - Did suggest BPS in the end.

Thanks again.