Birmingham Council outsourcing IT jobs to India

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Jun 4, 2011.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Tory-led council outsources jobs to India | Politics | The Guardian

Job loss fears as council outsources up to 100 posts to India | Mail Online

And these are public sector jobs paid for by the taxpayer!:x

There's actually a thread on Certforums, started a few years ago, 'Is public sector IT a jobs safety net?'

I tried posting this in the news and articles threads but I wasn't allowed to

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

If other councils followed, would love to protest... don't really want my money paying for jobs in India tbh! Just doesn't seem right...

I already refuse to sign up to a provider where there call centre is based in India... Majority of them I can't understand, very few speak good (slow) english!

No-one cares about customer service these days, all about money! Which for me, means they lose business because I wont sign up to them! :P

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
    Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  3. BMW320DMSPORT

BMW320DMSPORT New Member

Yep it seems all the rage to outsource over seas, were by the company in question can save huge amounts, and also I believe that places like India do not have many employment laws, so maybe other nations go over to exploit them!

I speak from personal experiance as I lost my position of almost 11 years, last year when my organisation outsorced I.T. to India, I was talking to one of the India chaps,who showed me an email from one of the Major Banks who have call centres out in India saying that "all sick leave as been cancelled" he said that it is very common to recieve emails like this, and this is from a bank pertaining to be ethical!!!.....

Certifications: OND, HNC, BEng(Hons) MCP, MCTS, MCITP.
    WIP: CCNA,and Voice....
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest, not surprised... The state of IT at the moment.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

What's the difference between offshoring in the private sector and the public sector? Offshoring purely to cut costs is an absolute f***ing disgrace - be it at a local council or a major international bank.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Crapita eh...you gotta love 'em!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...