Bios settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fanatical, May 21, 2007.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Just been messing around with my Bios and found three setting which confused me:

Primary Graphics adapter which was set to PCI

Graphic win size which was et to 64MB and my card is 128mb

AGP fast write control was disabled.

I'm now wondering if I have a PCI card in the system (i thought it was AGP which shows you how often I've been inside this case).

Any knowledge on the first two options and what I should set them to?

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This one isn't usualy quite as absolute as it sounds. It is usualy only useful if you have *two* graphics cards, one AGP and the other PCI. Otherwise it checks the slot indicated then checks the other slot.

This one doesn't matter much except with some games (IMHO). If you can, set it to match the card, but you may not see any difference.

Usualy the graphics drivers ignore that one.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

What hbroomhall said apart from ensuring that this setting matches your card. I can't vouch for every single system, but I know that on my current PC if you specify 64MB in the BIOS then only 64MB will be used irrespective of the card VRAM capacity.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  4. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

cheers for that, confirmed what I'd thought... :biggrin

EDIT: Now I'm wondering why the bios wasn't setup to bne AGP with 128MB when thats what I've got?????

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO - because for 90% of cases it doesn't matter.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

ok, changed it to AGP and it destabilised the system. How odd, anyone have an idea why? I can give the event logs for 'em if it helps....

7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

where would you be getting the event logs from? AFAIK there are no such item within BIOS menus' unless i've totally missed them

8. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

The error occurs once windows has started to load so there's seems to be to error logs at the same time the system stops working (before windows logon).

9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i see, i thought you meant an error generated within the BIOS itself... Cheers for clearing that up...

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Whats happens? BSOD? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Yup, got something about a VM-14(i think) and an infiniite loop error and a physical memory dump. Turned it off and on and then just got a black screen after the XP splash screen.

Changed it back to PCI and "seems" to be working now but it seems really odd that it would destabilise the system so much when the GPU is an AGP card and not PCI.

Left the memory set at 128 and that seems fine although if it's made any difference I've no idea! :blink