Best way to study?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Muso, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Muso

Muso Bit Poster

Hey guys

I've done the A+ and it took me some time, basically I read 2 books and then made loads of factual notes to memorise. I was wondering how everyone else studdies to pass this?

I have so far read the N+ Passport book, my next plan is to write it out into small chunks to memorise all key facts and important information. Now something which would save me lots of time would be if I could already buy study sheets or something like this as i really have quite a good understanding already of networking but just need to memorise all the boring facts.

Anyway it would interesting to hear how everyone else copes with memorising this stuff as clearly just reading a book isnt enough.

Cheers!

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm terrible at taking notes, I just tend to read through the books and do the exercises that come up, I find the note taking a distraction as I'm so used to typing on a computer my handwriting is now illegible so I'd never understand the notes I had already taken.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am reading through then will take notes of bits i think are most important then attempt to memorize them

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I find i prefer a course to me tutor led, but have found recently that i'm OK if doing a course on-line.
    Coupled with a few good books and i get along fine, it's all to do with what you find the most comfortable.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Muso, I hope you're planning to use another information source besides the N+ Passport. The Passport series is like the Exam Cram series. It's meant to be used towards the end of your studies to help keep the key points fresh in your mind. You'll need a larger study guide to get all of the detailed info.

As far as how to study, I tend to find two books...a big one and a smaller "passport" type, and use them. I use a highlighter to hone in on key points, take notes and draw diagrams and pictures (I'm very visually oriented).

I'm doing a project on a Microsoft product just now (sorry, no details) and besides having two different books on the subject, I spend a lot of time at Technet, plus I have the product itself running in VMWare so I can test things out. You'd be surprised at how Microsoft's documentation doesn't quite get things right all the time. That's why having multiple info sources is important.

As with the A+, networking is not just what you memorize but what you do with your hands. Get as much practical lab experience networking computers as you can.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

What I usually do is I will read a section in a book and then write down what I understood from that section. At the end of the chapter there are questions that I would do. If there is anything that needs to be memorized during the chapter I will write it down right away and it basically creates a cram sheet of things I have to memorize for the exam.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. Muso

Muso Bit Poster

Thanks for all the replies seems everyone has pretty much the similar ideas as I.

Tripwire45, I'm not trying to sound arrogant but I don't feel I need to big book as I've already got a lot of knowledge from my degree and hands on experience. I also really dislike studying so I am determined to do this one as quickly as possible. Sadly my cd broke which game with the book so I have no idea of how far I am off passing by.

Could anyone do me a massive favour and reccomend some testing programs? Ideally one which will say "your weakness is troubleshooting etc" these test programs tend to cost a lot and I am really only willing to pay for 1.

Cheers again!

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, if you dislike studying, you're in for a hard road in IT... because the moment you stop studying is the moment you begin to become as obsolete as the technologies you can support.

I agree with Trip: it's not just a bunch of "memorization and regurgitation". It's how you understand the concepts. Doing lab exercises really does help. I understand that you don't want to take the time. But time is what it takes to truly *understand* the concepts. And at that point... it's not just memorization. Additionally, I understand that you want to simply pass the exam and get it over with as quickly as possible. But this isn't about passing an exam... it's about building a strong foundation of knowledge, learning things that will help you throughout your career... not just for one exam.

If you do decide to reconsider your book selection for Network+, I've heard many good things about the Sybex Network+ Study Guide. As far as practice exams are concerned, I'm afraid I can't be of much assistance, as my opinions are heavily biased due to my current and previous employment situations. :)

Best of luck on the exam!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend and was unaware of your background and experience. If you are a seasoned network technician and manage a production network for a living, I can see where you might just need a refresher to nail down the concepts. On the other hand, I've never met a sys admin who didn't have lots and lots of huge texts around for reference and who weren't continually studying hardcopy and online sources to keep up with the technology.

That said, only you can know what you need to pass the exam. Study as you see fit and good luck on the test. Cheers. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have always seen IT & technology as a constantly evolving genre so you have to study it and be-aware of at least the changes that are happening and what those changes do and mean.

And I broke my own rule because I havent really been around IT for 10 years i am having to relearn through self study and reaquire my missing knowledge. Sort of like doing a big scandisk and defarg on my brain some cluster seem to have been corrupted but are being repaired. :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Muso

Muso Bit Poster

Guys Ive currently been working for the NHS and supporting 11,000 users across various sties. My issue with studying for exams like this is that there is a hell of a lot of old redundant stuff which you will not in a month of sundays ever have to use. The A+ for example I studdied it and forgot most of it, and I'm quite aware I never used any of it in real life. I'm not saying it is useless but in my experience if you need to find something out specific you will nearly alwasy have time to look it up on the internet.
    The main reason I'm doing this exam is because I feel I have to, everyone else in the industry has lots of qualifications these days so you have to have them to compete. Its hard not to feel robbed when I spent 3 years of my life getting my computing degree which cost a silly ammount of money only for it to be almost redundant compared to these microsoft exams.

Anyway I have managed to find the best testing software is Transcender but it is rather costly.

That book you reccomended is also excellent it seems to be very key factual information designed just to pass the exam which is what I need, so thanks for that!