Best way to get CCNA?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by ChrisCanada, May 5, 2010.

1. ChrisCanada

ChrisCanada New Member

So, I have been studying for CCNA recently, and I'm aware you can either write the ICND1 640-822 and ICND2 640-816 or just write the 640-802.

Financially, its the same, but at first I was attracted to writing the two separate exams, as ICND1 earns you the CCENT certification, which seems real easy. However, I was thinking writing the 640-802 may be easier in the long run, as I would have both the easy and harder questions on the same exam, so I could possibly mess up more of the harder ones.

I really want my CCNA soon, and I'm going to write it in a few weeks no matter what. What route did you guys take and what do you think I should take?

Certifications: A+, Security+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: Security+, CCNA, Linux+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend the two-exam option. Back before the CCENT existed, there was no real incentive to taking the individual exams. Plus, back then, they had INTRO and ICND (not ICND1 and ICND2). Well, what happened was the INTRO exam had all the "easy stuff" on it, and ICND had all the "harder stuff" on it... so for ICND, there wasn't any way to "smooth over" and hide any deficiencies you might have on the harder stuff. So back then, I recommended the one-exam option.

With the new exams, ICND1 and ICND2, they split up the "hard stuff" more evenly. As a result, I now recommend that people take the two-exam option... less stuff to study all at once, and if you fail one of them, you pay a smaller amount than if you fail the full CCNA.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

It is considered that the 1 exam is really meant for people renewing there CCNA as opposed to gaining one, but really its down to preference, I did the 2 exam option as I wanted to be sure I was more well rounded and the study for both filled in some gaps.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

another vote for the 2-exam option

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

^ What Kevicho says. The 1 exam is more for renewing. I'm going the 2 exam route. Sure, if you think about it, it could be more difficult because if you are weak in one area, and you only take one test, you may only get 2 questions on that weak area. If you take the two individual tests, you may get 6 or 7 questions on what you are weak on. To me this in an incentive to make sure I KNOW what I am weak on, and that I'm not just studying to pass the test, but rather to prove my understanding and skill set.

So I vote 2 test path! 8)

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, most people renew by taking a 642-level exam, provided the CCNA is still active.

If the CCNA has expired so a 642 renewal isn't possible, you certainly could take the 1-exam option... but why would even an experienced tech do so? After all, their CCENT would be expired as well. Why not grab it?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Yeah good point, Cisco certs renew from the last exam you take (IE a CCNA is renewed if you take and pass CCNP exam for instance), just some people are happy with a CCNA and they renew it without continuing though the path of certs which may not be relevant to their experience or job role.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. ChrisCanada

ChrisCanada New Member

Thanks guys, I'm going to go with the two exam option. Requires more time off of work, but w/e. My current employer doesn't value Cisco skills so it may be hard to get the time off. I'm sure it will be valued in many other places however 8)

Certifications: A+, Security+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: Security+, CCNA, Linux+