Best things to do after MCSE

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by oliness, Feb 19, 2009.

1. oliness

oliness Bit Poster

Ok this thread is really just to celebrate my newfound MCSE status :D but I was wondering what you all think would be the best exams to take after MCSE. I like security and would ideally want to be a security consultant but the security certs like CISSP seem a bit too high-level for now (ie they wont let me do them as I don't have enough experience). So I think for now I will stick with MS.

I thought for a time it would be best to upgrade to 2008 but after looking at the job ads they all seem to want a broad range of skills (sometimes they list LOADS of skills). So would it be better to get certs in other MS technologies particularly Exchange and SQL? These seem to be the most common ones listed in the ads and I have experience with both of them.

I'd like to hear what other people did after MCSE.

Certifications: A+, Security+, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Best thing to do after finishing off the MCSE is to take a break :)

Apart from that, try something different like the ITIL foundations or maybe a entry level project management cert like the Project+ or Prince2 foundation.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Had a few beers. :biggrin

Im on the server 2008 upgrade path just now and also hopefully going to upgrade to MCSE:M as well, thats the plan anyways.

Then Exchange 2007 and Sharepoint after that...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Amen

When I got my NT MCSE I got very, very drunk. When i got the 2000 one... same story :D

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Was wondering about Prince2. Is Prince2 something worth doing without specific project management experience? What is actually classed as project management? Could i already have that experience in my current job managing a network? The salaries i see for project managers dwarf anything i am likely to earn in the near future. Has always been something i have wondered about looking into once i have attained MCSE.

Anyone with more knowledge?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah, you can get drunk after that too.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!