Best Router Simulator Prep for 640-801

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by nooky_bear, Jul 25, 2007.

1. nooky_bear

nooky_bear New Member

Hi,

I'm currently preparing for 640-801 exam and was wondering what the best simulator software to use to get me ready for the exam.

From searches I see Boson and SemSim popping up a lot has anyone used either for practicing exam type simulations?

Better asking before parting with the readies :biggrin

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would guess my opinion would be ***slightly*** biased. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

One of the guys in my work has used some Boson materials for a Check Point exam, he rated them highly! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Boson for me.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. nooky_bear

nooky_bear New Member

Thanks for the inputs guys looks like Boson is the one.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: MCDST
  6. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Dynamips / Dynagen - but you do need legal access to a cisco IOS image.

Another way to do it is to book lab time on some real routers/switches - if you search the net you'll find some folks offer sessions that are fairly cheap. Might be worth it for one or two goes, to get a sense of the 'real thing.'

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  7. BosonMichael

According to Cisco's IOS licensing restrictions, you cannot use the IOS outside of the hardware it was designed for. Thus, you can't legally use Dynamips with Cisco's IOS. I can dig up the link and quote from the licensing if you require it, but I think I've already posted it somewhere on here or on MCSEWorld...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Really? Oooppsss :oops:

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  9. BosonMichael

Don't sweat it - most people don't know. :) That's why I tell people, because Cisco's IOS licensing restrictions aren't widely known. If I were to do it, they may never find out... but I certainly wouldn't want to risk getting into trouble with them, ya know?