Best Route into Systems Development or Programming Career

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by isaac123, Mar 24, 2011.

1. isaac123

isaac123 New Member

Hello there,

I would really appreciate some advice please.

I moved to the UK from Ghana last year to live with my British wife, and I need some advice on kickstarting my IT career here. In Ghana I completed a BSc in Computer Science at uni (2005) and a Microsoft Certificate in IT (2006) not sure how much weight they hold in the UK though?

In Ghana I have worked as technical support in a call centre, as systems administrator for banks and other companies, and manager of a technical team of 30 people in a call centre office. I was also a self employed computer technician for a while, mainly repairing laptops. I also learnt basic programming skills in my course.

I want to get certified in either programming or systems development in the UK (I was told by Next Step service that these skills are in high demand here?) I would like some advice about the best training provider to choose that offer flexible home learning with the choice of paying in instalments. I cant afford full time education as my wife and I are expecting a baby. I need to find a course that is affordable that will fit around other work commitments.

Any advice is appreciated to help me start my career here

Has anyone done a home learning course and got a good job from it? Or any there any trainee schemes I could sign up with that would guarantee a job at the end?

Thanks,

Isaac