Best route for small business IT guy?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by rob29london, Apr 24, 2012.

1. rob29london

rob29london New Member

Hi, I work in a very small IT business, I've recently got my MCITP: Exhange 2010. I'm currently studying for 70-169, as most of our sites use SBS and will be taking this in a few weeks. I'm not too sure which route to take next really, do Comptia Exams hold any credit? I've been in IT for 7 years doing 1/2/3rd line support. I was considering the Comptia A+, (looking at Prof Mess - it all looks fairly straight forward and something I could do quite quickly) maybe just for a bit of a variation in my studies ! Or maybe I should just go for MCITP:EA ? I do want whatever will look best on my CV as well as beneficial on the job.

Your views welcome :-)

Thanks.

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I would say that the Comptia exam is probably seen in general as lower level than the microsoft exams, Although they are good for covering generic, as opposed to strictly microsoft concepts around hardware and software etc. So I would take a quick flick through and see if there appears to be much value in you doing it. It's hard to guage without knowing what your ablilities are in terms of desktop knowledge etc but my gut feel from what you have said above would be to further the MCITP route.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. rob29london

rob29london New Member

Hi Coupe2T, I looked at the proff mess vids quickly, and outline of the Comptia A+ - I could get very bored doing them ! I don't think there is much value to me doing it as I already know most of what the vids are about - so its for just having it on my CV i guess. Do the Comptia's expire? I'm pretty confident I could do a Comptia quickly, would it be worth doing as well or would people overlook the Comptia for the MS Certs ?

4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  5. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Agree with Boffy. Also, Yes, the Comptia exams do now expire. They never used to before the turn of the year I believe it was, but I think now they expire after 3 years.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!