Best place to get an e-mail thats a persons name?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Flamehearted, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Flamehearted

Flamehearted Nibble Poster

Hiya all,

What would be the best way in the uk if a person wanted to have a domain name and then have an e-mail address which was [email protected] ?

E.g if the domain was www.sausages.com and my name was Bert the e-mail would be [email protected]

Any ideas on the best way on doing this ?

Thanks,

Flamy

Edit : Oh the thingy has made those hyperlinks - lol. I take no responsability for the content of sausages.com :biggrin

Admin edit: (J) Moved to Internet forum.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I would think any registrar would be able to provide this. Once you own the domain name, you should be able to set up e-mail accounts the way you describe.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Flamy,

You just go to any webhost and find out if your chosen domain is available. Then choose either .co.uk (cheapest) or .com, .net, etc. Chances are if you're buying the domain name only - with no webspace (hosting) then you will only get mail forwarding - ie, you will be able to use the [email protected] address, but it will be forwarded to an account you already have, not a pop3 mailbox.

If you are taking hosting space, you will get a bundle of pop3 boxes with it, but I dont think it sounds like thats what you're asking.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Maybe it's just a case of registering with a freemailer host with the yourname @ freemailerhostname.whatever if you don't really care or if you don't want to set up a website. Otherwise if you do want to have a website then it's as Jak said. You could also look into the .name domains if you want to really get personal (check out my little place in my sig for an example).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I looked into this a while ago and found that I could registar a domain name and then use that for email. However the mail is redirected to my ISP's email account (email forwarding). I could also use the domain name for my web page that is hosted by my ISP using the domain name.

Check My Thread for the full story

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Also ask your ISP, some will let you host the domain with them and your mail will be collected into your usual pop3 mailbox. Depends on your ISP though as many dont.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...