Best hours

Discussion in 'A+' started by law123, Jan 31, 2005.

1. law123

law123 Byte Poster

I am just wondering I have just started studying A+. What is the time scale aprox on how long should it take to study and pass the test?. And how many hours is recomended?. I am doing self study so I am not sure. :unsure

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

There's no hard and fast answer here. I think the Mike Meyers book has some sort of chart that relates you experience in doing PC repair with the number of hours you'll need to study (less experience equals more study).

Each person is going to learn at a different rate for a variety of reasons so I wouldn't try to nail it down to a specific amount of time. Bottom line is you need to take whatever amount of time you need to master the material to the point where you are familiar enough to be able to pass the exam.

In part, that's what mock exam software is for...to give you an idea of how well you perform in a test environment in order to demonstrate what you have learned.

I wish I could give you a better answer, but if you tie your goals to "If I study this section for 2 hours and 27 minutes, I'll have mastered it", you might find that you either will bore easily if you learn faster or you'll rush through and end up not being prepared.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

YUp, I would agree with Trip here, there is no right or wrong way to go about getting certified. Alot of it depends on how quick you absord the information, and also what kind of commitments you have in your life.

For example, Trip has a family, a time consuming job, and a house to run, whereas I am not married, no kids and just myself to think about. I probably have more free time available to me than Trip.

Basicly, just go at a pace that you can handle, make sure that you understand and practise what you are learning, and you will be fine.

HTH [​IMG]

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  4. matt.ryles

matt.ryles Bit Poster

The Mike Meyers book you keep mentioning, which book is it cause i just searched him and he's got loadsa A+ books.

Thanks

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

This one!

6. matt.ryles

matt.ryles Bit Poster

Rigyht im a little lost here. I have looked for meyers A+ book and he's got loads. Do you have a link (amazon or something) to the one that would be best for me to pass both exams with.

thanks

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I guess I'm feeling slightly confused because I posted the link in the post right above yours. The pure unadulterated link is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...2933/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_27_1/026-9551759-8545239

I also pinned a "Books and Resources" thread at the top of the A+ forum:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread3707.html

and included the link to the Meyers book there as well. Incidently, people are encouraged to add to that particular thread any books or resources that have helped them study for and pass the A+ exams.

Hope all this helps. Guess I should make my links more plain rather than "hide" them as text. :oops:

Apologies.

8. matt.ryles

matt.ryles Bit Poster

dur, stupid me, i didnt notice the link, maybe i should have a better look before i just click reply.

cheers

9. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Try P.C. world. I was lucky got one in store. Good luck!

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  10. matt.ryles

matt.ryles Bit Poster

Right, I been through the A+ objectives and I think I could complete everything but the networking stuff. Do you think I should buy a N+ book and read that, then I can take the N+?

Thanks

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You shouldn't need the N+ book to complete the networking objectives in A+ (if thats what your meaning). If you find you have no problems doing the basics that the A+ covers, then you may well enjoy the Network+ cert as well. Just familiarise yourself with the objectives for it though, as it is a fair step up from A+.

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I agree with Gav. The networking info you need to pass the A+ is pretty elementary. Of course, the Network+ exam is the next logical step after the A+.