Best Gaming Rig for £1000...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nXPLOSi, Nov 22, 2010.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase a new gaming rig, it will be purely for gaming as I already have a study/business setup.

I know the obvious option to get the most out of my money would be to build it myself, but to be honest I don't really have the time or enough interest to go for that option... :oops:

I've been looking around on the usual overclockers, alienware, dell ect just for abit of an idea but I know a few of you are really up to speed on this sort of thing, so my question is, what would you consider a good purchase? 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Too bad... you'd be saving a few hundred pounds which could be put towards a few better components. Plus, if you already had some gear lying around (cd-rom drive, case, psu...), you could re-use those and save even more.

Every gaming rig I have at home, I build myself, to ensure I got the best bang for the money and I find it fun to do as well ;) So unfortunately I have no idea which would make the best 1k gaming rig from the companies you mentioned above.

But I believe Alienware makes stuff that are quite expensive... do they even have an option at something as low as 1k? Last I saw, they were massively expensive. I also saw some rigs by another similar company and when I specced out the cost of the individual parts, I could have saved nearly 2k by purchasing them separately, cripes!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Maybe i'll have to re-evalulate my plan if the costings are that much different! I expected a hit of a hundred or two for the fact that i'd be buying a ready to go system but im not really prepared to completely rip myself off buy wasting that amount of dosh!!

I think alot of the problem is that i've never built a complete system from scratch, and im also not up to date with the latest hardware released and what hardware will pack the most punch for my money. uhmm.. I'll think i'll cost up the rig below from overclockers and see how much it'd cost me to do myself and take it from there.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-101-OE

Would that be a half decent approach do you think? Finding a PC thats the sort of thing i'd go for and then purchase the components and build it myself? Obviously I change anything that I feel isnt up to scratch of thats going overboard.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I also thought of that rig, Quite a good price considering.

If you want a list of whats best for the money here is one.

CPU = i5 760
    Case = coolermaster HAF or Antec 1200
    PSU = Corsair 750TX
    RAM = Corsair Dominator 3x2GB
    Mobo = Gigabyte UD3
    Cooler = Titan Fenrir or corsair h50 (self contained water cooling block)
    monitor = anything by samsung

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Yea the overclockers Ultima Viper does look nice, pricing it up roughly comes to around £820, meaning the add on price for it being built for me is around £110, which in my opinion isn't too bad. That also includes the overclock to 4GHz being done for me as well so its looking more attractive the more I think about it.

I'd have to upgrade the graphics, and add on the operating system but at the moment thats looking good I have to say.

Now I just need to have a think about the games I want to play on it, Black Ops would be the first, CS Source was always an old favourite my mine as well 8)

6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

why don't you want to build it yourself?
    110 can go a long way in a system mate

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you dont want to build one yourself, you get the parts shipped to me and I will build it and clock it for you for £50.

If you go for the setup that OC use for the viper I have built the exact same setup but in a coolermaster HAF case and I clocked it to 4.3GHz with max temps of 58 degrees c and a full 24 hour test in prime.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Its really due to the time it would take as im really pushed at the moment as it is, trying to get Security+ out of the way before the year end, busy time at work and the other usual hobbies etc that im involved in. After thinking on it for a couple of days im going to leave it for a month or so, get christmas and hopefully get the Security+ out of the way and then perhaps have ago myself.

Thanks for the advice guys, and thanks GBL for your kind offer :beers2

9. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you check my thread “http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread42176.html” accept that I’m not going to go for the security+ exam as I haven’t prepared for it since passing the 70-290 exam, anyway I like your suggestion of the “Ultima Viper” but if I was to buy the things individually it could save me around a 100 bucks then..

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri