Best backup software to backup a PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by piccadilly, Mar 7, 2010.

1. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Hi all,

I've a users PC at work that I want to backup the entire drive as it contains important software, if a crash then it would cost alot to rebuild.

Can you give me suggestions on the best method to do this?

Thanks
    Picc.

2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Norton Ghost... Simple as.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I agree with Western - or perhaps Acronis True Image, personally have used both with good results.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

My budget is £0. Can you recommend a reliable freeware tool?

5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Not trying to be belligerent here, but if a PC crashing is going to cost "a lot to rebuild" is it not worth investing in a back up solution that will save you money in the long run?

Failing that if its XP, that has a Backup utility built in that can backup the C drive, system state etc. I've never tried it for whole disk imaging though so I don't know.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

I totally agree, but it's a bad year for the company I work for and the IT budget is minimal (non for profit company).

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

I will look into it. Thanks for the suggestions all.

9. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

You could try Allways Sync to backup your data, it's free up to 20,000 files.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

If you don't have a budget then I would start looking at something like PING, it's a linux based disk imaging utility that will do what you want it to do.

As far as Non Profits go, they have to realise that they have to spend money on IT, ask them how much their data is worth and how much time they are willing to spend rebuilding the PC should the worst happen, if they can afford the loss and cost of rebuilding the pc then go ahead and don't invest in decent software, if however they can't afford to lose the data for even a couple of hours and the days it would cost to completely rebuild the pc and install the software then surely just buying the software to back it up now is a good idea?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Thanks for all your replies. Might try Windows backup and see how it goes.

12. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

So if they have a bad year then they don't buy insurance because it costs too much?

... i think they need to get there priorities right.

70 percent of companies go out of business after a major data loss (Source, UK DTI)

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  13. Brian_geek

Brian_geek New Member

Try Handy Backup, it's easy and reliable backup software. I have used several backup programs for years, and I recommend Handy Backup.
    Hope it will work for you too.

14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A lot of businesses are tightening their belts at the moment but there are costs which are paramount and a total neccesary.

Say to your bosses that do they want to damage the integrity of their systems? Do they want to incurr possible major expenditure by not having a proper backup solution? or do they want to incurr a slight expense and have total piece of mind?

It's that simple or as the secretaries put on notice boards at my place Its thats simples :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

i really like clonezilla, very good and works just as well as ghost

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  16. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

I'd use Ghost, doesn't cost much for 1 license.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  17. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Have a butchers over here

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Even though the thread is 6 months old I'd put a vote in for Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  19. JoeAllen

JoeAllen New Member

Acronis is ok, I used it for several weeks but we had to buy new computers for the office so I had to switch to a more inexpensive tool. After some googling we chose Praetorian Guard. It hasn’t failed me so far.

20. frankcastle

frankcastle Bit Poster

Well Every One here has given their idea of every other software for backing up data.
    Why look for it outside when you have the best back up software from windows.
    with windows back up utility you can take a
    1. Normal backup.
    2.differential backup.
    3. Full backup

It is one of the simplest method and reliable method.

In addition you can take a system state backup which will backup all system settings and user profiles.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
    Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA