Ben Wood - New Member

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ben Wood, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Ben Wood

Ben Wood New Member

Hi there,

have just found these forums and am very impressed already.

My names Ben Wood, i am 26 years old and have been working in sales for the past 3 years. prior to that I was in the military.

But before that, when i was 17, I worked for a lovely little company called Atomwide UK based in Orpington in Kent doing a YTS scheme "NVQ Level 2 in IT".

Anyway, am bored of sales now as I quickly chose it to earn money after leaving the military.

When i look back, I really used to like helping and watching my peers at Atomwide UK installing networks for schools.

Which leads me here, I really want to get back into Network Engineering and was hoping some of you guys would help me with your advice.

I plan to start by doing an A+ and get a job with it and from there i don't know really apart from perhaps Network+

I almost did the silly thing of joining an IT training company (financial services in disguise) and have determined that self study and personal work ethic to be the best route.

All i need to know is how to get a job in IT asap and how to plan getting the quals I need to be a Network Engineer.

please feel free to drop me a line if you feel you can point me in the right direction

Thanks again

Ben

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi Ben. Welcome to CF! You've come to the right place!

I hope you don't mind but I've edited your email address out of your post since we don't want all of those nasty webcrawlers or spiders picking it up and spamming you now do we!

:biggrin

3. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Hi Ben Welcome to CF! :biggrin

4. Ben Wood

Ben Wood New Member

Thanks very much. Just for my benefit (yes I know all about me, me ,me) would somebody please suggest below a way i can start and progress to become a Network Engineer. Qualifications and good starting job etc.

Thanks

Ben

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Amen !! :biggrin

Welcome to CF, Ben - good to have you, and hope we can help :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Start with the A+, I suggest that you look at our A+ forum for the best book to buy and read to start. It shouldn't be too hard to find! :biggrin

8. Ben Wood

Ben Wood New Member

Cool, thanks

Ben

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Ben, your questions have been asked before many times and if you delve into older posts you will find a plethora of useful information in them. Then you should post your questions in the relevant forum. Each sub forum is frequented by different sets of people and I am certain you will find the guidance you need in those. For the moment just fill your head here and focus on the A+

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Hi Ben. :thumbleft

What they said!

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  11. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Your A+ and N+ seem the logical place to start and you are in the right place to start them.

Feel free to ask for advice and information and good luck with your certs.. :onthePC

Certifications: A+ Network+
  12. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

I agree, focus 100% on the cert ahead of you (in this case A+) With each pass under your belt you will build confidence, and if you get into an IT job with your A+ your sure to build a great network of folks who can help you out with job opportunities and what not. The hardest thing is getting that foot in the door in IT. Do that and your laughing mate.

Good luck with the A+

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  13. Ben Wood

Ben Wood New Member

Well, that's the best welcome I've ever had, thanks guys.

Will head your wise words and search this site (well, i've already kinda started).

I will comb the A+ forums and if i have any questions, i will ask you all.

I don't suppose this one has been asked - have any of you that did a career change actually got into IT without a qualification? I would presume the answer is "No" but it would be interesting to find out if someone had and how :-)

Take care

Ben

14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yes - I did. I was working as an electronic engineer in a recording/AV studio, and looked at their AV controllers. They were very primitive. I suggested that I could get a computer to drive them. (silly me!)

I was told "You're on - you have 3 months!". I managed it - just. Since then I have been a programmer rather than an electronic engineer.

Mind you - this was 25 years ago! And only in the last year have I started to aquire any IT-related qualifications.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+