Beginning to be an expert!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by elli5on, Nov 29, 2005.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hi everyone,
    Just joined last nite, Currently enrolled onto my A+ and N+ certification.
    After this i am looking to move onto either MCSE or CISCO, anyone have any advice as to which is more appropriate, Or should i say... ''better for ones career''?

Cheers
    Craig Ellison :biggrin

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It depends on which route you enjoy doing.

Do you enjoy systems admin types roles where you are looking after windows systems. Or do you enjoy seting up networks and creating access-lists and links between sites.

You can build a career doing either, or a mix of both.

8)

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Elli,

Welcome to CF.
    Good luck with your certs, there is always good, honest advice here.
    Just as Simon has already said, as soon as you get into the A+ (which covers a wide range of topic's) you might find you are interested in one topic more than others.

Best of luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Connectivity

Connectivity Bit Poster

Hi Elli,

I'm sure you'll find a flood of information in the site, i know i'm still reading!

If you have any questions about the different study methods or about which certs are most appealing for employers, give me a try!

Cheers

Dan

5. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys, I'm looking really just to be a PC Repair engineer, Eventually i will go into networking, but the options available are really good.

I'm sure i'll be posting on here quite often anyway, with many different question's.

Thanks again

Craig

P.S- Does the A+ certification enable me to be a repair's engineer? Ive been told it does, which is why i took the course.

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yes. A+ is aimed at Computer engineers with around six months of work experience. If you have a look at the jobsites it is pleasing to see A+ crop's up a fair bit. :)
    Best of luck

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi elli5on and welcome to the club :D

In England the term engineer is banded around meaning anyone that fixes things but elsewhere the term is reserved for people with a degree in engineering. I am not fussed either way but you might want to consider the word technician, as it fits just as well and is less likely to cause concern.

If you want to be a PC technician, then the A+ is the best possible exam there is IMHO. Cisco courses are vendor specific and cover everything you need to know in order to support their superb routers and switches etc.

The Microsoft MCSE cert is over the top for somebody with your aspirations. You might want to consider going for MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) after A+ > N+ because for MCP you only need to pass one exam, for MCSE there are seven!

Good luck!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Craig. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CertForums, Craig! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685