Beginning Self Study

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by iainmcd, Jan 24, 2011.

1. iainmcd

iainmcd New Member

Hi there!

Well I suppose the title speaks for itself. I'm looking to studying for the CompTIA A+ and Network+ certs but I'm not entirely sure where to start. A friend of mine studied with a company called Zenos, however they only take 16-19 Year Olds on as its government funded so that rules me out of there! After speaking to him he has recommended study books from GTS Learning, as they were the ones he used. I suppose really what I'm after is advice on where to start. My instinct is telling me one at a time starting with A+, but there are so many different books out there to choose from. Once I've got started studying how do I go about taking the actual exam? Is it done online?

I'm not exactly new to IT but I do know that there are large gaps in my knowledge and in order to get into the industry I need these quals (previously worked as a Communications Technician in the Royal Navy).

Any advice you folks can give, or point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:salut

2. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I started my A+ a year ago and used the Meyers All in One bible. It's a massive book but will fill any gaps that you need for the foundation knowledge and is excellent prep for the exams.

Link to book here; http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Certification-Seventh-220-701-220-702/dp/0071701338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295974756&sr=8-1-spell

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You should start with the A+ and compTIA A+ all in on exam guide 7th edition by Mike Meyers is the best book for it.

You book the exams through either www.pearsonvue.co.uk or www.prometric.com you will find your nearest test center on those sites. You do not do the exams online as it would be easy to cheat. You are monitored whilst taking exams usually by someone watching on a camera and various other methods.

After the A+ then you should do Network+ and then Microsofts MCDST (that is if you can get it done by June 31st as the MCDST is retiring then).

You do not need to go to one of these training providers to do these certifications at all but you can if you want.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. AlexHalliday

AlexHalliday Bit Poster

Agree with everyone so far.

I passed my A+ today and the Meyers All-In-One book is brilliant (http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Certification-Seventh-220-701-220-702/dp/0071701338/).

I would also recommend the Exam Cram book to read AFTER Meyers, the questions appeared to be of a higher quality and much closer to the exam. Also good in that it has two printed practice exams, and loads of questions on the CD. *http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-220-701-220-702-Exam-Pearson/dp/078974242X/)

Professor Messor's video guide is also a very good resource, although for me I found it was a little too long (and boring!).

You should have a good readthrough the following thread regarding Self Study:
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread11894.html

Alex

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Net+
  6. iainmcd

iainmcd New Member

Excellent stuff thanks folks, I shall trawl this forum diligently :)

7. teixeira.jpt

teixeira.jpt Bit Poster

Hi

I personally use a combination of things but it depends how deep your pockets are i find i study best with computer based training to supplement the books because you get a visual experience.. suppose it all boils down to how you like to study and budget...

I would recomend for the A+ cbt nuggets great training provider and the trainer for this series really engages you in the material.

my two cents

good luck with your studies :)