Before I can put you forward, I just need two references...

Discussion in 'IT Contracting' started by drum_dude, Jan 3, 2019.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

OK, this has been discussed over at other places on the net but it's worthwhile having the discussion here too.

So what is this all about? Well, the long and short of it is : recruitment agent's and their tricks.

Here's the scenario: you get a call from an agent, there's a lot of small talk and the agent then tells you that he/she is recruiting for your dream contract. Everything ticks your boxes BUT you're then informed:

"before I can put you forward, the client requires us to obtain two references from your previous contract"

or

"before I can put forward, the client requires us to get two technical references to confirm your skills"

This trick is as old as the hills. Basically, there is no contract and there is no "client". The agent is "fishing" as in "fishing for leads". The hope is that you hand over the contact details of your team leader and someone else from your previous contract just so they can contact them to sell their recruitment services.

In my experience, I've noticed this trick being pulled mostly by the big named recruitment outfits. But what do you do when this happens? Well, you can say no and tell them that you know it's a trick, which usually results in them slamming the phone down on you OR you give them the contact details of the agent(s) who got you your previous gig(s) - some don't clock that you given them another agent's email address lol. Either way, you can call them out or have some fun with them, it's up to you.

Bear in mind that when there is a contract on offer, an agent always avoids small talk and gets down to the nitty gritty. When there is money to be made then you can bet that they'll work fast and want your bum on the seat by the next day, if that were possible. So when you get a call from an agent and they spend over 10 seconds on small talk, then you can bet that they're fishing for leads and there is no contract on offer.

Let me know your thoughts or if you have experience of such calls/tricks/tactics whilst looking for a new gig.

d_d

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
    Sparky and JK2447 like this.
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator

Top Poster
    of the Month

I wish I could contribute to this post Drum. It's very interesting but sadly, up to now I've never been a contractor. One day I may give it a whirl but it seems to me that the goal posts have legs at the moment with a lot being rumoured to change, that may or may not happen.

As a permie junkie (I just coined that, how do I do the TM sign on this!) I straight up apply for my own jobs with no agents.

Certifications: VCP4, VCP5, VCP6, VCP6.5, VMConAWS Skill, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: VCAP 6.5 DCV (Design)
    drum_dude likes this.
  3. drum_dude

Thanks JK. A similar trick is pulled in permie-land. The trick is an agent emails you with some permie roles but asks you to fill out a form where you have to state if you've attended "recent interviews" and the names of those who interviewed you. The excuse given is "we don't want to put you forward where you've already been interviewed"...in other words, they want to know where you've been recently interviewed, the names of those who interviewed you and all because they want to sell their services. Again, just classic fishing tactics.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    JK2447 likes this.
  4. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Normally I ask for a completed job spec and an email confirming the interview.

I only supply references after a firm offer.

This avoids all the games and scams, if a recruiter calls you up and can't send you a job spec, rate, location or client, then they are wasting your time.

drum_dude and JK2447 like this.
  5. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

I never give references until I had an offer but I've never been asked for references for a very long time lol.

Luckily my current place hasn't asked for any, especially that my previous manager was so petty. Jokes on him haha.

drum_dude likes this.
  6. MasterDelgado

MasterDelgado Bit Poster

Back in my journalist days, came upon this from a recruiter: "You're not allowed to sign up with any other agencies." As I was wet behind the ears, I believed her...

In 25 plus years of work, only ever got a job from a recruiter twice. Wastes of space. And the ones over here in Toronto are even worse!

drum_dude likes this.
  7. drum_dude

In the UK, contract gigs are pretty much dominated by recruitment agencies. You may be lucky and get dialled up by the employer and contract direct with them, which is where LinkedIn comes in handy, but most places will use a recruitment agency to draft in a contractor.