Become a driving instructor: earn £30k

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it just me or is there more of these adverts on the TV now? :blink

Just saw one and it has all the selling points of the usual IT training providers such as “fit in studying around your current job” and also “earn up to the £30k”

Should we all jack in our IT jobs and become driving instructors? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I guess now people have rumbled that IT isn't an easy path for everyone to a hoard of riches they have moved on.

I mean how many people can drive ? Look at those TP $$$$'s, I hear if you become a driving instructor a Leprechaun tells you where you can get pots of gold ! :rolleyes:

I mean who needs a job when you've Leprechaun's ? Join my Irish drinking course for £6k and i'll show you how...

3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It's targeted marketing; you'll find these adverts more prevalent on certain channels at certain times of the day.

I think one of the reasons I'm more laid back about TPs is I see this kind of marketing *everywhere* where they [the provider] see a chance of vulnerability selling.

For example, I regularly get the magazines Zest (health magazine for women), Runner's World and New Scientist.

New Scientist - we all know who it's aimed at. They don't seem to hold any truck with ads for training, etc, because their readership wouldn't require it - it's degree-level orientated reading for a specific industry.

But both Zest and Runner's World have had ads for "Train to become a fitness instructor - fit it around your own job *blah blah blah*

There are so many opportunities for this type of advertising, and it's not usurping the real training market - it's overwhelming it.

As with all training providers - all it takes is an ounce of common sense and an afternoon of research to make an informed decision.

I mean sure, being a driving instructor has a clear goal / aim / destination, and they could hardly 'mis-sell' the career as a whole - but they could potentially mis-sell the end game.

£30K a year is probably going to be the cap on your wages, for a start. What step is there next up the career ladder from 'driving instructor' unless you go on to start a school and employ other instructors?

If you sign up with a school as well, I believe there are certain caveats - which areas your students have to come from, how much you charge, you have to pay for your own fuel, and so on and so forth.

It's a minefield. A fun, circus-like greed-fuelled minefield.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Again people are not taking into account market economics. If everybody becomes a driving instructor then you'll practically be able to take lessons for free ! However by then the TP will be retired in their millionaire mansion.

Markets are supposed to be self regulating, you get a job based on market demand, then you train and progress.

If people spend thousands where there is no demand then they will get burnt.

Look at the goldrush, most of the miners died poor, the people that sold the shovels got rich. Look at the property market, another bubble caused by greed and endless 'location, location, location' programmes.

I'm waiting for the next series called 'repossession, repossession, repossession.' ! :D

People generally realise that if they can't pass GCSE maths they shouldn't be a scientist, hence that sector is not a good target for TP's.

The sad fact is that IT is seen as a suitable market for these goons... 'Oh I can get a high score on tetris so I must be qualified to write assembler for the next mars space probe !'

The average 12 year old can now build a fully functional web site, why do people think they can turn basic web skills into a career ?

5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Yeah it funny that they advertise the opportunity all the time and not the driving lessons themselves

I certainly wouldn't invest into it.

Yeah frontpage or iweb... rofl

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A similar set of adverts used to appear on the London Underground - "Learn to invest in property and make millions!".

For some reason I haven't seen that ad recently....

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

lol.

I essentially agree with DMarsh. Because technology is so prevalent, IT is regarded as an accessible career.

Never mind that most people are intimidated by the jargon and acronyms (never mind the actual technicality of it). Because technology is everywhere, people think they should be able to enter an IT career without issue. TPs for other careers probably use the independence motif - be a master of your own time and become a driving instructor (and pick up a 17 year old at 7am so they can have a lesson before school, and scare yourself senseless for breakfast!)

Maybe this can add to the wide debate of the professionality (or professionalism?) within IT - with a regulated body and CPD and so on and so forth, would IT finally be seen as the challenging profession it is - with the TPs then having less of an 'in'?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. supernova

Even in my local papers website now

No previous experience required = err what about driving? and running a business for that matter

9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Anyone with an ASBO, that can hotwire a car, drive a metro between bollards, can apply as long as they can afford to pay... :D

They've got their stuff pasted all over the web on job sites, gumtree, blogs etc...

I've started getting spam email on 'You've seen CSI now get an online degree and be a real CSI' and 'Train to be a medical records professional', so next week i'm going to be looking at peoples medical records and digging up dead bodies in the nevada desert all thanks to the power of the internet ! :D

10. supernova

Why don they go the whole hog and make it a network marketing company

11. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

and ruin their 'Exclusive Offer' ? This deals not just for anyone, its only for people with a pulse remember ! :D

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

My mate is doing it with that company from the advert. What they don't tell you on the ad is that you have to pay for the lease on the car, find your own people to teach and pay for petrol.

So unless you get about 25 students a week then you don't get anywhere near 30k

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. supernova

Theres also something about if you dont pass, you loose all your investment

14. greenbrucelee

yep, being advanced driver costs money but these places charge more than it actually cost. Sounds familiar doesn't it :D

15. supernova

Is that all it is advance driving licence, I though it was a special instructor qualification, you can do advance driving in one day for £25-£50 (cant remember), a friend did it with the police to get cheaper insurance.

16. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Nope. Not that easy. My old man is a driving instructor. The test is split in to 3 parts.
    Part 1 - Theory test.
    Part 2 - Advanced Driving test
    Part 3 - Test of instructional abilities. Involving role play etc. (that's examiner pretending to be a pupil not the other type of role play).

5 years ago the going was good and he was earning around £25 per hour per lesson with an average of 5 lessons per day. These days with the flooding of the market some companys are as low as £12 per hour.
    Last week he only worked 8 hours all week!

It'll never change, one month its I.T, the next plumbing, driving instructor etc. I expect we'll see a lot more of these type of adverts with all the redundancies lately.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  17. greenbrucelee

yes you need to do the instructor training after the advanced driving.

18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Exactly, it was the same when the .com boom kicked off. Loads of jobs then the market was flooded with people wanting some of the action and then the wages went down as a result.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Professions like accounting and medicine don't seem to suffer from this type of hype or maybe am not looking properly:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  20. supernova

yes it does ... big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

accounting -> bookkeeping which this year became regulated so will cut down (includes basic accounting as only a few areas are regulated)

Institute of Certified Bookkeepers

where to study

Sorry i know this because i went from IT into accounting (we used to laugh at these) and hated it, hence back into IT