BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, says UK IT innovation needs to be nurtured

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, Nov 10, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, says UK IT innovation needs to be nurtured

BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, says that UK IT innovation needs to be nurtured if the profession is to reach its full potential and the UK is to compete on a global scale. The lack of a ‘Silicon Valley’ in the UK means that budding entrepreneurs in the field of Information Technology are at a disadvantage to their American counterparts.

In order to highlight the need, the Institute will take part in this year’s Lord Mayor’s Show on Saturday 14 November. The Institute hopes that its presence at the City of London’s iconic event will celebrate the value and importance of the IT profession, as well as showcase the increasing importance of Information Technology in the world.

This follows research commissioned earlier this year by the Institute which found that 60% of UK IT Managers believe that the UK’s competitiveness could be transformed by a dedicated IT innovation hub, similar to Silicon Valley in the USA.

Full story : HERE

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. JK2447
      JK2447
      In the past the M3 and M4 corridors have been called the Silicon Valley of the UK but I think without sustained government initiatives, concessions and publicity the UK will continue to have widely distributed pockets of innovation. Its just my opinion but I think if we want to be known as a leading innovator the government needs to do its part to entice venture capitalists and companies that a central UK location could whip up the kind of international recognition the US enjoys with Silicon Valley, leading to a snow ball effect of innovation and investment. My 2 cents quickly on a busy day.
    2. Alex399
      Alex399
      Interesting article!!

I couldn't agree more with the career possiblities for someone in the IT profession being so much greater in a place like America as opposed to the UK due to "Tech central" (Silicon valley) they have over in america, where as in the UK the IT companies are scattered randomly across the UK making it De-moralising for some talented experienced IT Technicians to find and bid for a Job in the UK with big career prospects and more than often also following with big bucks.

Although I'm wondering if a place like "Silicon Valley" is more about the Engineering/Manufacturing side of IT instead of the more Technical, Support, Programming side of things but I don't know a great deal about these kind of companies, maybe these companies that make these Chips for the IT world are employing a wide range or IT professions you get in todays world...

Please update Darkstar after the meeting has taken place :)
      Many Thanks!