BCS, IET, IEEE, Comptia ITPro and others

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by JK2447, Feb 10, 2021.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi All

Are any of you active members of a professional IT organisation such as the BCS, IET, IEEE etc? I was once an MBCS in the British Computer Society (BCS), but I left a few years ago, as I wasn't getting the most out of it. I will admit this will have been my fault, but I wondered if you had anything to say about these organisations?

Thanks
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I let my BCS membership lapse as at the time there wasn't much benefit for a helpdesk technician. As a manager now I might reconsider that membership, especially for the opportunities to network, which were plentiful when I was part of the Birmingham BCS (indeed I was their Youth Committee member for a while).

Along the same topic I'd be interested in hearing the experiences and benefits from anyone who is or has been a member of the CMI, as I'm eyeing up going for chartered status in the next couple of years.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
    JK2447 likes this.
  3. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thanks @Arroryn, I'd agree Chartered would potentially be a good way to stand out and get some letters after your name, if you're into that sort of thing. I will still never forget my interview for that. I was grilled by two gentlemen who looked like professors remotely. I can't remember what we used but zoom and the life was definitely not available ha ha! I probably looked like a minecraft character with the technology at that time

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I gained my Chartered IT Pro status back in 2008, and because of that I've kept my membership going with the BCS. I guess the 2 main reasons why I haven't stopped my membership is that I don't want to have to redo the process of the CITP, and I do actually believe in the professionalism of the IT Profession - get it inline with other professionals such as teachers, nursing, lawyers, engineers, etc.

TBH, you only get as much as you want to put in, eg meeting, networking, membership levels, etc... For me, I haven't really put in alot in it apart from my membership fees - but that's mainly due to working 2 jobs as well as studying. Once I finish studying, and hopefully when I get to drop my 2nd job, I may actually apply to become an assessor :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    JK2447 likes this.
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Wow, that would be interesting... I was looking at the CMI a few years ago, I was a member of the ILM and was comparing which management association would be best for me. Ended up cancelling my membership to the ILM, and not going for the CMI. Saw the price a few years ago, I believe it was about £1k to get Chartered status with them, not sure what the yearly subs were.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    JK2447 likes this.