BCS -HEQ Professional Graduate Diploma in IT

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by Brawlyrox, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox Bit Poster

Hi I have done some reading on the BCS site and have become very interested in the above course, details of which can be found here:http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.12022
    In the prospectus for this it does state that there is a self study option, now I am wondering if anybody has gone down this route? I have been looking around the site and cant really find anything definitive.
    I have a background of working in IT and education in Business, so this might tie the two together nicely.
    Any pointers from where to go here would be most appreciated.
    Nick

Certifications: MCAS
    WIP: A+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I may be wrong but my interpreation would be that by "self study" they mean distance learning i.e. you pay a provider for the course and study by cbt etc.

We do have one or two Members of Dorset branch that I believe may have gone this route but they are not know to me personally.

I would say check with ISEB direct to get a definitive answer and be sure that the qualification will get you where you want to be - other more recognised certs may help to a greater extent if you have them in combination with this.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox Bit Poster

Thanks Darkstar I will get onto them and see what they say, do you know of any similar qualifications that could be done as self study?

Nick

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I listed here the ISEB exams that can be done by self study :

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=36379

Other options for shall we say "soft" certs as opposed to technical ones might be something from the OU (not necessarily a degree).

Other than that, get yourself along to some of your local BCS meetings and make contact with IT professionals in your area - they should be able to give you some good advice too.

5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I investigated the BCS qualifications a short while ago and the unfortunate response in regard to distance learning providers was 'sorry, not many around at the moment'

In fact only 3 distance learning providers are listed on the BCS website, and they are all a bit too distant!

I believe the response I had was that it may be possible by talking to some of their accredited course providers that you could arrange to just be handed the training materials and do it as a DIY course.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox Bit Poster

After following Darkstars advice and contacting them directly I got a response (they are really good at replying to emails)

The first response I got was

Then I asked for a little more information in specific to self study and I got this reply

So it does look like it is possible, however its still a bit hazy about what to study so over the weekend I will look at the past exam papers and the "suggested reading" and hopefully get a good idea of exactly what is needed.

This isn't to say I will definately be taking this route, but it is looking like an option and if I can help others out in the process then all the better.

Nick

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I've had a quick look and, as I expected, it's a bit sketchy and is mainly a reading list at the end of very brief topic summaries.

8. Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox Bit Poster

I agree totally, this was what was troubling me. Spending that much time studying and then not really having much of an idea of what you will be getting tested on.

Although they suggest Student membership to the BCS so I am hoping that somewhere included with this will be more guidance.

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I'd seriously make contact with your branch. My general impression (completely personal) from ISEB is that they are not encouraging self study and really prefer the use of TP's.