BCS has been discussed before - how about IET?

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by Arroryn, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

And this is especially aimed at Cisco certified people, as the IET appear to have an affiliation with Cisco that allows you to fastrack to full member (MIET) status without having a supporter to your application.

More info.

The IET have been around for quite some time (formerly IEE), and membership is highly regarded (from what I can gather from the other half). Certainly they've been around a lot longer than the BCS, and have dedicated IT forums on their site.

Has anyone gone for this? (I'm currently investigating TMIET status and possibly becoming an EngTech, to get on the bottom rung of the long ladder towards chartership...)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For general engineering, I believe that IET offers better value but for the specific IT route I'm not sure (no, I'm not defecting from the BCS, lol). However ECUK is starting to make good moves in this area :) Anyway it doesn't state what Cisco cert you have to have. Will CCENT be enough, or something higher like the CCNP?

As for the EngTech, have you confirmed that your certs/quals are accepted for that program? Just read thru the leaflet and it looks like it's geared up towards the engineering side rather than the IT side (but I'm not 100% sure). If that's the case you may have to wait for the ICTTech mark that the ECUK is releasing at the end of the year.

Good luck with your career progression :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Kitkatninja

Just did some digging :)

For MIET - CCIE only or CCNP/CCNA with prove of evidence of work at graduate level.
    For TMIET - CCNP/CCNA with evidence of at least 2 years work experience at technician level within the industry is required.

The IET are looking very good :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. Arroryn

Wow.

The professionality of the IET impresses me massively. I hadn't kept up to speed with EC-UK though, and I didn't realise their ICTTech was due this year.

But the requirements above do show a massive 'misintepretation' at the very least of what you need to achieve in IT to attain MIET.

Martin went straight to MIET (so CCNP/-NA with graduate level work, or a CCIE(!))

He has an ONC, and sure, ten years work experience in the industry, but not all to *that* kind of standard.

Hmmm... I may go along to my local branch and have a chat with one of their enrollment advisors, to get a human view on the topic, as black and white text isn't nearly as fallible as a panel of selectors :)

5. Arroryn

Just had a look at the work level requirements from the link above. Without the CCNA, my application would possibly be a bit weak, but I achieve the job role requirements refreshingly easily.

Meh. I'll go to a local meet and after chatting to someone to make sure it's not false bravado, I'll give it a go. The worst they can do is say no, after all, and if they don't point and laugh at me in the process, I know I'm close to the benchmark :rolleyes: :biggrin

6. Kitkatninja

Cool, let us know how you get on. One question... As the CCNA expires, or needs renewing every 3 years, if you let it laspe do you lose the membership level? Or are you just assessed at the time of application? I guess it would make sense just at time of application, but enquiring minds want to know, lol :)

It's strange, I have to say, 'cause both the CCNA and the Network+ both sit at the same level (3 of the NQF), wonder if this will open doors for other vendors (eg MS, Comptia, etc) links with other professional associations.

-Ken

7. Arroryn

Hmmm... interesting points on the CCNA's expiry - I'll certainly try to get some answers on that regards, and put any feedback up on the board. It's all well and good being assessed at the time of your application, but if you're moving to the next stage do you have to recertify to keep the validity of your MIET status?

The N+ and the CCNA sure do sit at the same level, but the CCENT on its own seems more of a challenge to me than the N+ ever was. I'm not sure though, if this is just because the N+ was vendor neutral, and I can't get my hands on enough of a Cisco setup to truly appreciate what I'm trying to learn on the CCENT/-NA. Still, the A+ and N+ will be going on the application, and hopefully I'll have a CEng as my sponsor, which should help.