BCS CITP Equivalent

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by shaddy, Jun 26, 2009.

1. shaddy

shaddy New Member

Hi everyone,
    i am new to this forum so forgive me if i posted this question in the wrong section.
    About MBCS equivalent in the industry and about CITP relevance and equivalents.

I have just been granted an MBCS award, but i would like to know its equivalents in terms of all other professional membership (or is it equals to masters degree).

I am also under going the process of CITP at the moment. I would like to know if it is in the same level with Cphys, Csci, CEng, Chattered accountant etc (or is it equals to masters degree). If so where on BCS can i get this information from. thanks

Thanks.

Certifications: Bsc(Hons), MBCS, P.Dip, CITP
    WIP: Ceng
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'm sure Ken will have a succinct answer for this :p

By the way you might like to introduce yourself a bit more in this section :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. shaddy

shaddy New Member

Thanks, i will introduce myself properly now. cheers

4. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

CITP Is good, it not equivalent to CEng though. It's equivalent to IEng (Technologist level).

As stated above Ken is the expert but it is not equivalent to a Msc either. You normally need either 10 years experience though or a degree and 5 years I believe.

I haven't gone for it at the moment as I am pretty busy with other stuff but I will definitely apply for it at the same time that apply for IEng.

Dom

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Err not quite.

"Typically, you will have 8 -10 years of IT work experience, although this may be reduced depending on your academic qualifications or if you are part of a BCS Accredited Professional Development Scheme.

You will also be required to meet the criteria for the Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA) Level 5 - this describes the degree of responsibility you will be expected to exercise in your role to meet our requirements"

Source

If you search you'll find that in another thread I posted what the SFIAplus requriements were with a copy of the document I was sent by the BCS.

However, there are changes afoot which will be announced later in the year.

We could probably debate what we *think* it's equivalent to all day but I expect Ken will have details relating to NVQ levels etc (seem to remember he posted something some months back)

6. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

ok thanks for that.

The comparison to IEng is from a post within the BCS Engineering and Technology forum. At the time of the post (feb 2008) Ken had rang the BCS and they replied that it stood at IEng level.

Dom

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  7. shaddy

shaddy New Member

from what i have been seeing so far from google search results is that CITP is at par level with CEng (in the area of IT).

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Guy's,

Been on a training course, so only saw this now :)

As the CITP has evolved so has the standing of it, a while back when I first asked the BCS about this the CITP was a cross between the IEng and the CEng, however this has now changed it is now on the same level as any other Chartered status, CEng included. Added to that it is/will be part of the IITP program, which is world wide (several countries have already adopted this, like Australia, Canada and New Zealand)

The CITP is not equivalent, as per se, to a Masters degree as it is not assessed to either the NQF (like the NVQ 5 or MCGI) or the FHEQ (eg MSc/MA/MBA), however saying that it is assessed to the SFIA, which is the skills framework (work based). So while explicitly it isn't equivalent to a MSc or MA, implicitly it does imply that you work at that level.

I'm assuming that at some point a IEng equivalent will be developed, as you've got the ICTTech which is equivalent to the EngTech and the CITP which is equivalent to the CEng, this leaves a gap for the IEng level.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. mrmuesli

mrmuesli Bit Poster

Hi, I am new to this forum, just joined today :D - its the only place I have found for discussing the BCS CITP application process (I am in the process of applying at the moment). I was wandering of those that have got CITP from BCS, what was their experience (if any )in terms of interviews (face to face and phone), has anyone from here had an interview with them for Chartered before ? What sort of questions did they ask ?

Thanks in advance for any responses

Certifications: see auto sig
  10. Kitkatninja

Hi, why not introduce yourself here and be a part of this community :)

There are a few of us CITP's here on CF's. You can read my post about it here and UKD's post here.

In my case the questions that they ask are based on the info that you provide, basically to ensure that you meet at least level 5 of the SFIA.

Good luck :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  11. mrmuesli

mrmuesli Bit Poster

Thanks Ken. I submitted a 4 page CV (inc SFIA skills) and have now been sent an additional SFIA form to fill in, this duplicates a lot of the CV and I have filled another three pages. Planning to re-submit that this week then should hear about next steps (interview, straight pass, straight fail etc) in August. Keen to get it done before the revamp in September if its going to get harder to apply, I am wandering if I am pushing it applying with only 5 years IT experience (and no IT degree) but I have done a fair few IT exams and have a non IT degree so am hoping it should be ok

12. shaddy

shaddy New Member

I have been awarded the CITP status today. I submitted relevant documentations and my supporter did submit the SFIA Level prove as well. Now i am very happy to get the status. Thanks to everyone here.

About the September revamping, what exactly is the change coming in September?

13. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Well done. I've got an online interview for mine start of August . . . . .:cry:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  14. Kitkatninja

Don't know about the changes, hopefully if I get selected to do the CITP assessor course I'll know. Congrats on the CITP btw, you can update your WIP in your profile now :)

Good luck mate :)

-ken

15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Big congrats on getting your Chartered status m8 ! :biggrin

Welcome to the club ! :p

16. mrmuesli

mrmuesli Bit Poster