BBC 8pm

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by flex22, Jan 22, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Probably out of order writing a post about a prog that's on, but thought I would remind people that there's a prog on BBC2 with Jeremy Clarkson about how computer have changed the world.

Last week is was about guns.A really interesting program.

With the programme talking about computers this week, and with his site obviously about IT, I thought I'd remind people.

2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Dammmm I missed it.....

The guns one was good - as long as he not got one around me 8)

3. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Only caught the last ten minutes or so Flex - about robots and intelligence - wasn't sure whether I felt excited or terified :!:

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

It was interesting.

Funny in parts.

somewhat enlightening.

Why did I space those above phrases out :?:
    I don't know.

Anyway, apparently Charles Babbage was a complete nutcase, so maybe I am in the right field afterall. :hhhmmm

He once had himself lowered into a volcanoe so that he could test how hot the lava was.Now I like his style :thumbleft
    ANyway, he died, not from the lava, but he died, like coz he got old, and died, u know.
    Anyway, he showed off his analytical engine to his friends, this is before he died of course, they were impressed, but it didn't take off, mainly because it couldn't fly, but more importnantly because Babbage spent all the money too quickly which he was given by some society which gave moeny to people to build things.
    The interesting thing is that if everyone had seen the potential of the analytical engine and everything had come to fruition, then computers may have been around for 100 years already.
    Wow, imagine that brilliNNNNNT :!:
    But that didn't happen, are eh :x
    I'm just glad I wasn't born 90 years ago.Not only would I probably be already dead, but I wouldn't have known the joys of computers :onthePC

Also Alan Turing was talked about.He was responsible for founding computer science.A strange coincidence that he had the same name as a Turing Machine, which is a theoretical computer consisting of a tape of infinite length and a read-write head which can move left and right across the tape.

These are the proper Bo Selectas we should know about and look up to.
    They're my heroes G-d dammit :bigcry (tears out of utter repect and humbleness)

Babbage and Turing we salute you
    :salut :clap :respct :rocks :git :iagree :afro
    :peace

5. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

And behind every great man there is a woman... :ma

Ada (the Countess of Lovelace) studied Charles Babbage and came to be able to understand and explain the machine better than Charles himself. She was the one who saw that it could be possible for graphics, complex music and possibly even artificial intelligence to be produced in the future. It is said that her work is the first ever piece of software, which makes her the first ever recorded programmer!

It's amazing what you learn from marking exams! :wink:

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I actually heard about her the other day on another programme, but I couldn't be bothered looking up ehr name to include in my last post.
    I actually feel really bad for not bothering, I'm an idle git :oops:

Shame on me :cracking

So a belated respect for the Countess of Lovelace

She's the lady :thumbleft
    :respct :clap :clap :iagree :afro :yep
    :peace