Basic standard of living costs £13,400

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Manunemp, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Manunemp

Manunemp Bit Poster

Has anyone recently lived as a single person with their own accommodation on this salary or below? it doesn't leave any room for saving at all so if anyone had a car and their insurance came up, they wouldn't be able to afford it, or holidays.

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Thats kinda the point of what the report is saying. its the minimum required for a reasonable standard of living. That doesn't include cars, or holidays abroad. It covers a roof over your head, food on the table, and perhaps once in a while, a small treat. If you are that far down on the breadline, you shouldnt be considering wasting money on cars, etc.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Takes me back.

My first 'proper' f/t job was as a graduate trainee manager in 1994 and the starting salary was £10,500.
    I thought I was rich.

Mind you, they hadn't invented the Playstation back then, and I wasn't an alcoholic...

:oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

My first full time job was as a fishmonger. I earned £125 a week. And believe me, when I say 'earned'... I mean 'earned'

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. RonDon11

RonDon11 New Member

ouch lol

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. He monged fish all day long. He monged them in the morning, and he monged them in the night. He could mong for hours. News of his monging prowess spread far and wide, and people would travel for hours just to watch him mong those fish.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

That salary wouldn't cover cost of accomodation in London...

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  8. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

£10 a day on various building sites during the early 90s is what I got! And then I took a sidestep LOL to the YTS for £32.50 a week! After that I got a job in a carpet factory on £220 a week...I was minted...spent all my money on drums and 'cool' clothes from Fosters ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  9. dave_gray2077

dave_gray2077 Bit Poster

That's the wage I'm on now. "Working" 12 hour night shifts 3 on 3 off and attending full time uni during the days. :eek: In a vain but desperate attempt to beat my way off the minimum wage.

Hard stuff but i like to think its instilling a solid work ethos into me. All i do is work and sleep. :eek:

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA, Fd Degree, BSC (hon).
    WIP: MCDST
  10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Exactly. Probably a better "average" would be the "average minimum" standard i.e. average out the minimum people need for their actual circumstances to meet their basic bills (housing, heat/lighting, food, essential travel etc.)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  11. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

You'd be surprised what a human being will do in order to stubbornly survive. lol.

I was on £6.95 p/h packing concrete slabs (not minimum wage, but not a great job - not as bad as Zeb's but not good) living on my own in a bedsit, running a car and paying off debts.

Became a tinned own brand food officianado (however you spell that word!).

GL to you Dave - you're a brave man!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  12. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I'm on £12,000 as a recruitment consultant so I am struggling just do keep my head above water with lifes monthly bills, ok it doesn't require alot of physical activity but I feel like I'm stuck in a rut. I just about have enough money to pay off debts, eat, sleep, work, read Comptia A+ books OH YEAH and go on cert forums :D.

I don't have enough money to go out for a drink with my mates anymore maybe the occassional 1 pint on a monthly basis :eek: its even a struggle to pay for petrol these days... I plan to get rid of my car soon as I simply can't afford the insurance, road tax and mot :(

My life sucks hardcore atm because of this low salary.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  13. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Then add commission..?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  14. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Commision used to be worth mentioning about 1 year ago but my commission has taken a big tumble with the recession and Manufacturing in the Precision Engineering Sector is an Industry that has been hit very bad by the economic downturn.

I used to be getting about 3-5k commission a year now its about £500... and its capped (taxed) anyway so that sucks **** TBH.

I'm not letting that get me down though as I had a call yesterday from a recruitment agency regarding a IT support Job £15,000-£18,000 per annum so that made my day, its a bit speculative at this point but my fingers are still crossed. Considering I have no IT qualifications or certifications other than an ICT (GNVQ) I'm not getting too excited :rolleyes:

15. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

@ Alex -

How much do you pay for accommodation?

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  16. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I pay roughly £360 pcm including all bills and I guess I'm fortunate that I don't have to pay electricity or gas bills so thats always a bonus I guess.

I would dive in deeper into my financial situation but its kind of personnal info, so I would leave it at that. Lets just say after all of lifes (my) essential bills and I mean "essential". The only bill I can knock off being my car insurance which is £72 pcm.
    I have roughly £70 left over at the end of the month to play around with and its surprising how it goes :-(

17. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I think in the old days it would correct for us to say "look for another job" but these days that is easier said then done!

My first IT job was 11.5K and then I went to 12k. I too was living on my own but in the same situation as yourself. The money left over soon gets eaten by 'cars' but then again back in those days fuel was about 60p a litre and food was cheaper then it is now!

Hang in there mate, something will come your way!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  18. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Holy crap I'm moving to Dorset!

Everywhere round here is minimum £575 pcm before bills and for reasons passing understanding those who are subject to the random whims of government pay scales (like my gf) don't get London Fringe levels of pay while very clearly being right in the middle of the commuter belt and having to pay London fringe prices.... bastards.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Your life would suck even more hardcore with no salary at all. Be thankful for what you have, my friend. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I pay £900 a month in mortgage alone. :biggrin