basic security certs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by adrian, May 21, 2010.

1. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

hello. to cut a very long story short, I have been given a budget for further training by the government to help me get a permanent job. I have no professional IT experience but i know about as much as I can without it if you know what I mean.

I have completed the CompTia A+, N+ and the microsoft 70-270 XP administration.

I dont want to over qualify but at the same time I cant think of any more entry level certs :P I have searched and searched and found the CCENT but frankly if those other certs didnt help me get a job (tried for over a year) ten I doubt any more will so I think ill just go for something that im interested in.

I am VERY interested in security and networking/hardware/infrastructure etc etc and I want to learn more about security so I looked for basic security certs...i found these

EC council security 5
    http://www.eccouncil.org/training/course_outline/security5_course_outline.aspx

checkpoint ccspa
    http://www.checkpoint.com/services/education/training/courses/principles_network_security.html

CompTia security+
    http://www.ptr.co.uk/comptia-security.htm

The Security 5 course sounds a bit TOO basic frankly, the security+ looks great but im a bit weary of it, like I say i will be studying purely for my own interest but I dont want to get something that I have to leave off my CV so would a security+ cert look like over qualifying?

CCSPA looks like a good compromise but i want sure, cant get too much info on it.

What do you lot all think?

Certifications: A+ N+
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Before i can answer, whats your background have you worked in IT and to what level?

Also how old are you?

I am curious to why you went for the 70-270 and not a MCDST? .. as the later would seem more logical with the A+ and N+ when applying for jobs.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

I have never worked in IT but Im not looking for something to help me get into it, just something to satisfy my own interests. Im not totally oblivious to the ways of commuters tho, or security for that matter, I have a fair understanding of security fundamentals such as cryptography, firewalls, filtering, identifying threats etc

But only an ephemeral "glimpse" of them so to speak, just want to know more really

4. supernova

Well security is often covered at a basic level in most certs these days for example 270 covers permissions, firewall and antivirus etc with XP.

The problem is most of the main security certs are meant for professionals who have a background in system or network administration. You need to start by knowing how stuff works under the hood.

Saying that most people in pen testing and security often start with ethical hacking as a hobby and there are plenty of books and information on the net. I honestly don't think that you will find any very basic security certs or courses that are well recognised or that aren't "sucking eggs".

The first security cert i would personally go for is the S+, but as you say ideally the time isn't right to have it on your CV. Anyway you shouldn't need to go on a course really for the S+.

5. supernova

But arnt you using government funding that is meant to help you get a job??

6. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

true, yes but in my case there isnt much training that will help.

the funding just started me looking at further certs - if i decide to do one ill just buy a book and do it myself the way i got my A+ N+ 270.

Frankly i dont know what to do with the budget - probably first aid at work or something but that doesnt cost much :/

on a side note - is there some kind of exam i can take to bridge between xp and windows 7? IE something that just covers the changes or will I have to do one that covers the whole damn thing?

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The MCDST and MCTS Vista and Windows 7 certifications are all solid, entry-level certifications. Anything beyond those will make you overcertified for your experience level.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. supernova

(I presume you are in the UK)

if you get referred from the jobcentre to places like a4e and scout enterprises you can get all that free with careers advice. In fact if your on benefits for awhile you will probably be put on a 13 week course at such a place and also be expected to get voluntary work.

There are fast track exams from the MCDST to Vista equivalent, i presume there are now a paths from MCDST to the windows 7 equivalent I cant tell you the exam numbers of the top of my head. As the 270 is a part of the MCSA you would need to have completed MCSA to fast track to the server 2008/ windows 7 equivalent, but i wouldnt go down that route until you have worked in IT for awhile.

9. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

I see.

and yes im in the UK - I am currently employed but its a job that the government created to lower unemployment numbers and as such is only a 6 month contract. The budget is for training during this time to help me get another job and not just right back to dole

10. supernova

Looks like its the..

Exam 70-682: PRO: Upgrade to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

Sorry wrong one ... I mean i thought there was a upgrade from MCDST to MCTS

sorry my posts where messed up i had a power cut just as i pressed post

11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

As BM says, going beyond MCDST or its Vista and Win 7 equivalents at this point can do you a lot more harm than good. I'd get the MCDST done (70-271 and 70-272) and possibly do the upgrade exams.

You might want to look at ITIL as an option as well, even employers who don't ask for it often quite like to see it on your CV.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10