Basic one :oops:

Discussion in 'A+' started by morph, May 29, 2007.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

Whats the purpose of creating an image of a cd? I thought initially it might have taken up less space but not the case, is it to trick the pc into thinking your running it of a cd? ...again sorry for the basicness :oops:

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Typically, it's so you can contain the entire contents of the CD in a single file, thereby making it easy to distribute. Just burn the image onto the CD, and all the files are magically placed where they need to be. Yes, you can use ZIP files to compress a bunch of files into a single file, but you can't go straight from ZIP to burned CD as easily as you can an ISO file.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

A couple of things I can think of:

1 - If you have one cd drive but want to copy a CD.

2 - For transferring puporses - IE putting on an FTP or P2P.

3 - Archiving your software CD's onto the hard disk in case you need them at any point

Uhm, any more guys?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  4. morph

morph Byte Poster

ah ok cool - for ease is good - its just a mate yesterday was telling someone else down the phone they'd created an image of a particular film - and apart from it all being in little bits i couldnt understand what the purpose of making an image was - when u could have the whole file sitting there in say a media file format? what was the purpose of making an image of a film thats sitting in one file anyway?

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Because if you actualy look at a DVD you will see that it *isn't* just one file, but a whole bunch of directories and files. This allows the 'menus' and 'highlights' and other good things that a DVD offers.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Just like what Harry mentioned, unless they have converted to DVD film into another format like divx, mpeg2, avi etc... If they have then, this will make is into 1 file, and reduced space, 700mbs or around that size. Doing this will inturn, lose quality, sound and ofcourse all of the extra features and bonus which would get in an originally DVD.

7. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

An image works faster in a virtual CD-player than the real thing.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP