Bailout already a failure! They already want more!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by panipatisk, Oct 4, 2008.

1. panipatisk

panipatisk New Member

Bailout already a failure! They already want more! Read it and weep people

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi there it would be nice for you to introduce yourself and tell us if you're interested in IT or politics:) or vice versa.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Really, is anyone surprised at this?

I know one thing... come November, I won't be putting ANY of them back into office. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Hear, hear - this is the ultimate 'money pit' - disappointed that neither candidate gave the American people a choice.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

What annoys me in the UK is that the local councils having tens of millions of pounds in dodgy Icelandic banks when it was widely said that they weren't very secure and there system for securing any deposits was lacking to say the least. If the reports are to be believed then council tax could rise for the next 25 years to pay for the loses if they don't get it back. What annoys me even more is that they had that much money in the first place as they are always saying they need more money as they have ran out. According to a GMTV interview these accounts might be one of several that councils have in foreign banks. I would like to know just how much money the councils in the UK have and why our council tax goes through the roof when they plead poverty.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

erm... you are aware that the candidates have no say in this at the moment, since neither are in power?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

According to a 'spokesman', local councils were encouraged to deposit 'spare' cash by central government.
    Apparently the Icelandic banks were on the list of officially recommended institutions right up to the day when it all fell over.

I was surprised to hear that one council had deposited £50 Mill though.
    That's a lot of broken pavements.

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. michael78

Thats what I couldn't understand is that the council had 50 million surplus cash to deposit in the first place and the spokesperson said that could be one of several accounts that the council in question held. It's more a fact that council tax rates have went through the roof when they are sitting on shed loads of cash that they could dip into to keep the rises from happening in the first place.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

If only it were that clear-cut Slypie. I think you'll find that one of the main reasons for local councils putting money in the Icelandic banks was because of their extremely generous interest rates. A few years back this wouldn't have mattered so much, but since central government funding for local authorities has been so drastically cut over the past 20 years they have had to find ways of making their money work harder - which always, always comes at a higher risk.

its all swings and roundabouts - if local authorities still had their money in non or low-risk accounts, your rubbish wouldn't be being picked up.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Err no I was not aware of that - I have not watched a TV news program or read a newspaper or talked to anyone in fact for at least 6 months now .... :rolleyes::biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  11. michael78

It was the amount of money that they had in the first place that amazed me.

12. BosonMichael

Yeah, me too... the only reason I'm going to vote for who I'm voting for is to keep the other guy out of office (who voted for the bailout as well).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. BosonMichael

Uhh... actually, yeah, they do have a say in it, since they're both Senators. They both voted for the bailout. :dry

14. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

The word burned comes to mind...

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  15. BosonMichael

Unfortunately, it is the American people who get burned.

Well, except for the fat-cat bankers, who now don't have to face the consequences of their poor lending decisions.

16. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Mis-understanding. I meant Fergal :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  17. BosonMichael

I know who you meant... just trying to direct the burn away from Fergal. I feel seriously betrayed by my government, and although I have no investments, I know I'll be paying for it in the form of higher taxes that I really cannot afford to pay.

Where's the bailout for those of us who were careful with our money, didn't go recklessly into debt, didn't get an adjustable rate mortgage because we KNEW the rates would go up? Where's my reward for being responsible? Answer: the responsible ones won't get a thing.

Looks like everything's all crashing down now... so much for, "WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING... ANYTHING!". Sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something.

18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Well we've got our own £500bn bailout, where the hell are tweedle dee and tweedle dum going to get that amount of money from?

From this guy possibly?

[​IMG] :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  19. BosonMichael

Holy crap! :ohmy Pound for dollar, that's more than the bailout over here!

20. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I thought it said £50bn in the articles I read at first but was shocked at really how our banking system is down the pan and we never knew how bad the situation really was until now.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009