bad sector fix?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IThurts, Apr 20, 2008.

1. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

howdy,

anyone aware of a free software for fixing/repairing bad sectors in a HDD?
    I have googled it but not really finding anything useful.

If no free ones...whats the best one to purchase that might do the job well?

also tried the manufacturers website, to no avail.

cheers.

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Wouldn't it just be better to replace the drive, if a hard drive has bad sectors its probably gonna get worse.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Hi GBL,
    thanks for your advice, however i have heard and read that these things can be sorted with a decent repair program...so just trying to cover all angles really before i replace.:D

I will prob end up replacing though.

I may be clutching onto straws but i need to give it a go first before i do the swap.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Have you tried Spinrite?

I use it sometimes, its pretty good, takes a while!!

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  6. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Holy crap...im trying spinrite as we speak, its saying its gonna be 13hrs???are ya kidding?

Oh well, i chose level 5 so it does a thorough scan and locates bad sectors or whatever the description was. Hope it comes up with something!!

ill leave it be for the night and hopefully will be done by morning?

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'd bin it mate. HDD's are cheap enough these days that it's not really worth risking one that could be on it's way out.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

ITHurts:

Try Salvation HDD Repair or SpinRite. Both work. Problem is that MTBF means more sectors are probably going and you're putting lipstick on a pig. Best course of action is to rubbish the unit.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

With modey here esp if the data is important. HDD are cheap as chips ATM so a replacement is always the option.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

agreed - if the hdd was totally knackered and had important data, then i would see if i could "repair" it, but if i was able to access the data, i would just back up, and replace.

11. Eggbert

Eggbert Bit Poster

Depends what the drive is used for. If it's not a critical main hdd, use Seatools or WD diag to patch the sectors. Nothing can "repair" the bad sectors, you can only block the systems from accessing them. Having said that, if the drive is getting bad sectors, the problem is likely to accumulate and the drive will not be a reliable storage device.

If the drive belongs to a client, don't mess around with it. Just save yourself and the client a lot of potential problems, and replace the drive!

~Eggbert

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: Diablo II
  12. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone,

I think the general opinion is that i should bin the HDD....?lol. I think i may just do that as its cost me 3 weekends already trying to sort it.

The spinrite test is still scanning and im now at work, so it said it has another 4 hrs to go.
    I turned me screen on this morning to have a look at its progress and it said it found 1 UNRECOVERABLE sector/error.

Most of you are saying drives are cheap etc but i actually have a 2nd drive in my PC anyway, this drive has games and apps installed on it. So will probably just install the data from the old drive onto the 2nd i have and also keep the games etc on that one too.

QUESTION; I have backup images of both of my HD's (primary "faulty" one) and the second one beforementioned. If i simply copy the image of my "faulty" drive to the second drive, will i still not retain all of the errors? Or are the errors confined to the faulty Harddisk itself. Note my issue is i have a bad sector.
    Also- whats the danger in using the faulty drive with the bad sector until it "explodes"? I mean i have a full backup of apps files so no worries there. I think i just want someone to scare me into changing the drive...:oops:

thanks for any help...