Bad Boss and new interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by L1ONE, Dec 20, 2010.

1. L1ONE

L1ONE Bit Poster

I recently had a job for 6 months and it went sour after my boss didn't want to pay me my money. He ended up trying to attack me and I did the "Man" thing to do and walked away, it ended on pretty sour terms.

I haven't had any other big IT jobs and would like to put this on my CV as I've learnt a lot etc etc etc. Being 19 it is important that I get as much experience possible on my CV.

However when I go for my next interview what can I tell them as I don't want them to ask for a reference from this jerk, how do I play this off so it goes in my favour?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, MCP
    WIP: N+ maybe.
  2. force1

force1 Bit Poster

attack you !! what did he do??

is there no HR there??

Certifications: 70-647
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, 70-643
  3. L1ONE

L1ONE Bit Poster

He came to my house to give me half of my wages, I asked where the rest was and he got irate, I stood there insistent that he was mugging me off and I guess the fact that I didn't rase to his irateness pissed him off more, He got out the car when I walked off and tried to throw a punch at me, he missed but the intention was clearly there, I pushed him away and walked back in my house after seeing a few of my friends coming down the stairs, I didn't want anything big to happen because it could of come back in my face.

There isn't any HR, it was a small 5 man company and cash in hand (small wages). I know a lot of people would think that pressing charges would be the best way to go, but it's really not in this case. I'm more interested in getting on with the future and trying to find a new job, I need some advice as to what to say to future employers when they ask about references for this job. I could happily give them references for other jobs I've done, just nothing is as substantial as this one.

4. zet

zet Byte Poster

Wow, that sucks. I wouldn't bring this up at an interview as you didnt press charges so it would be your word against his. If asked why you had left you should work on putting that in a professional way, for example 'the employer was not paying my wages on time and this came across as extremely unprofessional, I decided to leave'. etc etc - It is unlikely they will want him as a reference.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  5. L1ONE

L1ONE Bit Poster

Thanks, sounds like that will work, It would be a massive shame to leave the whole job out of my CV especially as I worked for doing web work for some high profile clients whilst there.

I want to try to avoid the whole thing but be prepared when they ask me why I left and if they can have a reference.

6. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

don't tell about the fight as nobody will believe there was no fault from your side.
    a Boss coming to your house? to pay you? jumps on you?
    would you believe it? as you re young (high level of testosterone etc :-)) you will look as aggressor and trouble maker no matter what you'll tell on interview
    I was working for same idiot back in Poland
    just say what was said above, you left because you didn't get salaries on time, there was no fight, no attack :-)
    good luck :-)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  7. L1ONE

L1ONE Bit Poster

Thanks, and if they was to ask for a reference from my most recent job, how would I word this?

If I was to say something like I didn't end on good terms with my boss, it possibly wouldn't come across too well.

8. zet

zet Byte Poster

No, don't leave that off your CV. Wait for someone with experience to chime in BUT you could say 'I would prefer not to have my current employer as a referee as he is unreliable source'. It is highly unlikely they will use him as a referee. I think typically you decide who you want as a reference?

Another approach you could use is not to mention any of the negative aspects at all. Just say to the interviewer that I decided to leave as the company was small, i'm looking to expand my horizions and I'm looking to join an organisation that can help me progress with my career and I feel that this is company can help me to achieve this.' (spend some time googling, you will come across better reasons for leaving your job). I'm saying this as sometimes saying anything negative about your former boss may reflect on you badly.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

If it's a cash-in-hand job then you probably won't be able to use it as an 'official' reference anyway. Did you pay tax? Were you making your NI contributions?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Pretty much agree to this as if it's not through the books chances are he will probably deny your existence. Sorry to say but you may have to act like the job never happend and learn a lesson in not doing a job without going through the books if you want to use it as a reference. Another issue is that if your not on the books then you don't get a p45 so again you won't be able to use them as a reference as you don't officially exist.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Agreed...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

You should tell the truth, because it is not your fault, but since you were not officially on the pay roll you cannot sue him for not paying you. This is what happens when you work under the table. Also have it on your CV do not take it out if the experience was good. If a company asks for reference just put his name who knows he could say something good.

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

If he's not officially on the payroll, he can't put it on his CV, simple as that.

14. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

What if you volunteered. I mean there are heaps of people who has volunteered for I.T jobs and they didnt get paid and no they were not on the pay roll as well. They still list it in their cv.

15. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thats a different situation altogether, as you would list that experience under "Voluntary work undertaken". Under this, potential employers would see that you were offering your services on a voluntary basis.......

As stated by the people abive, it would be better to just ignore this whole episode from your CV, as it could raise more questions than anything, and if asked about your role, the only answers you will be able to give are negative ones,,,,,,,,,which is always a bad thing to do about a previous employer:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

True, he could list it as voluntary work, but I'm guessing his CV is a bit thin on the ground, so any employer would be likely to aooriach them for a reference - in which case the OP is back to square one. Just put it down to experience, leave it off the CV and move on.

17. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

Wipe it off your CV and start again, what ever you do don't lie...

I had a simular exparance when I was your age.

I had a part time job as a web developer for a company who where selling helth care supliments (think holland and barret). I designed a beautiful website for them, but the ownership of the business changed, and the new owners decided to start pushing a herbal vigra, at this point I quit.:rolleyes:

I remeber after I quit, I came home one day to find a red fararri and a blue rolls royce parked outside my house with two "legitimete business men" and a list of credit card numbers and details, threatening to break both my legs unless I wrote them a script to milk money from the accounts on the list, on a monthly basis. :eek:

Natually I declined and I managed to see them off withought any serious injury or incidents.

I don't put that job on my CV, as an interviewer would think I was involved in criminal activity or completly barking mad

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE