1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi guys,

I am still playing with backups, and wondered what account does the actual Backup utility included with Windows (Or any other backup utility such as Backup Exec) use?!

I can set up a backup to run and leave it etc and it just works...

Which is good, but I was just curious because I have no account in the backup operators group...

Does it use some system account or just use my administrative account?

Really interested to see how this all fits together...!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I believe that Windows Backup uses the local system account, although I could be wrong.

Something such as BAckup Exec uses an account that you specify, i.e. the Administrator account, I also believe that it creates it's own accounts.

A little known fact is that the Windows Backup Engine is actually developed by Veritas (as was, now symantec). Don't ask me for a source on that though as I read it somewhere a long time ago.

8)

3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

simon, are you sure? i never worked with ntbackup, but i would assume that it uses the logged on account (if one goes for a single manual backup). if ntbackup would use the system account by default, then a malicious user would be able to backup files and folders that he/she might usually not have access to, and restore them to a different location. hmm, i gotta test that one. it would be interesting to know. :twisted:

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm honestly not sure.

I don't use NTBackup, but from memory I can't remember ever having to specify any specific accounts.

:rolleyes:

5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

hence my suspicion it uses the logged on account. jeesh, i really gotta brush up on some of this basic stuff. :oops:

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

7. dcuk

dcuk Bit Poster

yep, ntbackup.exe was developed by Veritas, and is a very much cut down version of something like backup exec. It can only backup the system state of the PC on which it's run.

The two groups which can use backup are administrator and backup operators, or anyone with the backup user right. I use backup at work, it's run on an admin acct, though i'm pretty sure that it will go through system during processing. It's just a case of setting up a schedule and leaving it, though I've found that it's not very happy on an XP box unless it finds a tape drive.

As for backing up files that you don't have access to, yep you can do this, but you can't read them, as you wouldn't have suffiecent permissions.

I'm hoping to sit my 270 this month (after reading 290!), so this is still fresh in my head, though I may have got the wrong end of the stick on one or two bits, would anyone disagree with the above?