backups

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moominboy, Sep 20, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

just curious at the minute folks but if i wanted to re-format my hard drive, is there a program that "snaps" everything on it available for burning? ie, all system files, personal docs, images etc,etc,.....

i think nortons ghost does it but onto another hdd?

i know its a wee bit vague but hopefully you brainy peeps will get it!

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Ghost can be used to burn a copy of the image to a CD :oops:
    I love it - use it all the time.

3. moominboy

does ghost save it all as an iso. file? like linux? feel free to chastise if thats wrong!

but say...i used ghost, burned image,formatted, would it only take re-inserting that disc ? or would i use the xp recovery disc first then the ghost disc?

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I think, that is I think. that if you take an image of your drive with ghost and make it bootable with the right NIC driver on the disk, you will be able to reload the OS and applications from new.

But to be honest why would you want to do that. If your rig is slow now, why copy it and re-load it. Wipe it and start again, take an image and re-load as you need to.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. moominboy

no, nothings wrong at the minute, i was just curious and couldn't find much information. cheers for the info mate.

EDIT:
    does that mean that from the disc you can just pick and choose what to put back in?

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

np glad you found the info OK

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Nah, if you burn a complete image onto cd you have to reload the whole image.

Ghost does a good job tho. Will copy the whole of your hard drive as an image file spanning onto x number of cd's/dvd's as needed.

Its then just a case of putting in disk one, boot to it and away you go. Will look exactly the way your setup did before :)

Neall

8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Does Ghost copy all open files as well because some programs have trouble doing that. I use Roxio BackUpMyPC, I downloaded it for about £15. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Baba,

Ghost will "ghost" the whole machine. It can also produce incremental back-ups after you have made a full back-up.
    I like it. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT