Backup Query

Discussion in 'Microsoft Hyper-V Virtualization' started by simongrahamuk, Jun 13, 2014.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

We currently run our servers on Hyper-V across 3 x hosts. 2 x of the hosts are server 2012 (not R2) and I'm planning on brining the 3rd one up to 2012 this summer.

We have the 2 x 2012 hosts currently replicating to a replica server elsewhere on the site, and the plan is to have the 3rd do that too from the summer.

Currently all of my HV hosts backup separately to NAS devices located in different areas of the school using Backup Assist.

When I get all of my hosts setup to replicate to a replica server I'm considering changing the backups so that the Replica server gets backed up, and not the live data.

Does anyone else do this?
    Can anyone see any reason not to do this?

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The only thing that I would say is always check the state of your replication. We had in the past where replication has failed, can't remember the cause.

We're also running 2012, looking to upgrade to R2 poss in the summer :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks for the feedback Ken.

I stopped thinking about the backup and started thinking about the restoring of data if it was ever necessary, and thought how can I restore a replica and then have it update the original? Would simply reversing the replication work? It was then that I came across this and realised that backing up of the replica is not the way to proceed.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The last comment in your link is class...

"no"

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs