backing up stuff

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Sep 5, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ok i want to bak al my stuff up, but say i need to do a reformat, how would i get the origiinal operating system back on without a CD etc, and and say i borrowed a disc would i be able to get my updates etc as i have the key on the back of the lappy etc

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you don't have a Windows CD, and don't have a CDROM then things will get difficult.

I'd suggest that you see how easy it is to remove the HDD and mount it in a PC so you can use Ghost or similar.

*Some* backup systems have rudimentary drivers for Ethernet ports, which might be an alternative.

Harry.

Edit: I may have misread your post to mean that you didn't have a CD *drive*. If you have then things are much easier!

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

If you borrow a disk, you will have to make sure its of the same type as your key i.e OEM, Retail, and VLK

edit: if you don't have a CD drive, you could use the xp disk to create an install share on another computer

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Like what ThomasMC says you can use a disk but it has to be same type as you have on yours to go with your key.

Do you not have a restore disk?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Sorry for misleading you all, i do have a cd drive etc, but id dont have an actual operating system disc or any sort of back up disc.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Do you know if your copy of Windows is OEM or anything else, if it OEM then you need to barrow an OEM disk to format n stuff but you can use your own key when re-installing it.

But you need to find out what sort of version you have.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - is this your new laptop by any chance? If so look in the 'documentation' - it will tell you how to make a restore disk/disks.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

you could always use something like Acronis True Image. It takes an image of the disk as a backup and (providing you can get it to work), you can boot to an Acronis bootable disk to initialise a restore.

It also has the ability to create a bootable rescue partition on the HDD itself so you can boot to it and restore from the backup image. useless if the HDD dies, but if you 'accidentally' delete vital OS files, this will help.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present