Backing up in a W2K domain from different platforms

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Cartman, May 8, 2004.

1. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Hi everyone,

Struggling with this one - I am trying to find out whether the backup facility on Windows 2000 server will allow backups from other machines running different platforms (operating systems). I am reasonably confident that Win 9x and Win NT would be ok to backup, purely from the standpoint of the fact you can access their files over the network.

Problem is, can you also backup from machines running Novell Netware - either running TCP/IP or IPX/SPX?
    By the same argument above (i.e. you can access the files over the network) I'm guessing you might, but can't seem to find out for sure. I have scoured the web and probably most of microsoft.com - can't find the definitive answer - any Novell guys out there?

Cheers for anything anyone knows....

2. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Does anyone have any Novell experience? I am really stuck with this one, can simulate most things in a W2K environment from the set up I have, but I have no way of actually 'seeing' what happens when W2K 'talks' to Netware.

I would be so grateful if anyone has any ideas about this one - expert points up for grabs, six packs of beers, anything (within my magical powers that is) :lol:

3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Depends what you are trying to back up and what you are backing it up with? I'd need some more info :idea:

4. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

1) Files and Directories from a netware server
    2) As mentioned, Windows 2K Server Backup application.

5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I know it can be done with BackupExec

Give it a go - the bast way of learing. In theory it should work.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Is that in Windows or 3rd party, Sandy ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

BackupExec is a 3rd party product by Veritas
    currently on version 9 i think

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Could it be this?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Thanks guys, but remember I need to do this from the standpoint of a Microsoft exam question and have only the standard W2K apps to do it. Not a 3rd party application.

Just needed to know if it was possible using only the indigenous tools that Windows has....

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Gotta admit, it's a good one dave. Been having a searc and can't find anything on it.

From memory I was involved with a backup procedure where we were using NT4 and trying to backup a netware 3.12 file server. This was before I "understood" what it was all about and we had to get a third party backup system in.

Don't know if that helps but ............... :wink:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Thanks AJ, in the real world there is usually a 3rd party solution to most things - however if I read your post aright, it seems you couldnt do it for Netware 3.

Then again it is not specified which flavour of Netware you need to backup from - version 5 (I think) is able to communicate with TCP/IP so maybe that would work.. *shrugs* Dunno how you are supposed to simulate that with a home network!!!

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I don't want to sound like this is one of my "standard answers" (ie, I gave roughly the same answer to another post on a different Forum recently) but I really don't think that this sounds like something MS are gonna question you on, Dave. The situation you describe, to the best of my knowledge is definitely not on the course requirements for the 70-215.

As AJ (I think ?) said previously, and we all know, MS exams are about MS kit, not 3rd party (although even MS refer to 3rd party tools for Sysprep ghosting)

But hey, you know I'm always prepared to be shot down :roll:

13. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Well Gav, I promise to only shoot you down nicely (and with a squirt gun, natch).

Believe it or not this question comes from my training providers mock exam paper??!!

Attempted the whole exam, stopped at this question in amazement and decided to research it, as it certainly wasn't covered in the course material. My search has come to nought, so hence here I am.

I kid you not, this is the question they have asked......

If the real thing doesnt ask it, then thats great, however in the meantime..... :(

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Fair point, Dave - if your Trainer is setting you the question, then I understand you want to find the answer.

I should have clarified by saying that I'd never encountered a question along those lines, either in the MSPress books' questions, in Transcender, or mentioned in Cramsessions.

I admire your determination, though Mate :thumbleft

15. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

NP Gav, still I'm hoping in anticipation for someone to come along with the solution.

I have faith in certforums far reaching knowledge base!

16. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi All

BackupExec is a 3rd Party application.

If you need pure "out of the box" stuff I'd say no can do. :oops:

17. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Thanks Sandy,

Sounds like what I'm looking for - in MS Backup you can specify network locations for backup, can you not 'see' netware resources in the same way as you can see Windows ones? Just trying to get a picture of this in my head....