Background check - job title

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ndsss, Mar 3, 2008.

1. ndsss

ndsss New Member

Hi guys

I have a question here regarding the job title, especially for the background check. Since different company has different grading systems, I am always confused what to put on the CV. My current 'formal' degree in the company is 'engineer'. But have been addressed as 'project manager' by my boss for a big project, and I am actually managing the project very well. I didn't exaggerate my job in the descriptions anyway. He has also submitted a promotion / job review so that it can be changed formally. BUT, I dont know when, given the fact the company is very slow on everything. In my CV, I have put 'project manager' and I am 200% confident to talk about any aspect about it. I believe I am more than enough deserve the title. And a slight difference can make different eye-catching effect.

My worry is that if I find a new employee, are they going to check this and bring me trouble? I really dont mind if the new enployee can talk with my current boss -- he wont be happy if I leave, while I doubt if he is going to give me grief on this given the amount of effort I delivered. BUT if the background check only goes to the company HR level, is there going to be a mismatch on the job title??

Please give me advice on this. Many thanks!

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Personally I'd list my title as engineer, with a mention of project management under what I do.

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm very similar to Simon. I list my job title as what my job contract states I am (IT Network Manager), and then I list the skills/titles that I have elsewhere on my CV.

I very much doubt if you'll get into trouble, just because, like you already know, different companies use different titles for the same job.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. ndsss

ndsss New Member

Thanks you both. But what will be exactly included in the background check of employment then? For example, they may send a form to the company? such as:

Please fill the following information for xxx (name):
    Job title
    Salary
    performance
    comments by direct boss

or something different?

Cheers, Adam

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You should list your position as what your boss and your HR department would say your position is when they are asked. Any discrepancy can torpedo your chances at a job.

"Yes, I'm calling to verify employment regarding your former project manager, Adam."
    "Huh? Do you mean Adam, the engineer?"
    <insert red flag>

Personally, that's a violation that would place your CV in my "circular file", especially if I can't trust you to be truthful regarding your actual job title on your CV. What ELSE might be "slightly fabricated? Not worth the risk... I'll move on to the next candidate.

I agree with the rest. If you did some project management stuff, list that experience under your job responsibilities... don't list it as your job title.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Job titles mean absolutely nothing
    in fact there are plenty of companies that dont even use them anymore

I've pretty much been asked to make up my own the last few jobs

Just list what you did, your skill set and experiance, and ignore your job title :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

If you have an official job title, go with the one that is assigned to you (i.e. Engineer). You can put in brackets Project Manager. In the description below you can mention you were the PM on such & such project and your title/role is being transitioned formally within the X-amount of months.

I’ve seen the same thing as Phoenix, especially at larger companies. The title is bland and generic so HR and managers don’t have to deal with Admins; Engineers; Architects; Developers; Programmers; etc… Everyone within a certain group is a similar in title (i.e. Telecom Analyst)

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, my boss said I could any job title I wanted in my email sig. :biggrin

Sparky
    Managing Director 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. ndsss

ndsss New Member

Thanks. Lots of valuable points. But it is really different from one company to another. Anyway, my boss has introduced me in various occasions as project manager (I think it is really a flexible title around thw world, not like operations director, supply chain manager and so on). I will just stick to it and see what it will evolve -- if i get through the interview.