Problem Back up exec 12.5 and Exchange store

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

hi,

SBS 2K3 SP2

Receiving the following error from BE 12.5:

Backup- \\Server1\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group Media mount failed.
    User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation.
    V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

Single server with built in tape drive. tape capacity nowhere near limit. plenty of free space on the server itself.
    Have followed the ms article which suggests turning on vss when using 3rd party software to no avail. i have read somewhere that GRT can cause issues, although the config on this has been working for ages without issue.

AOFO and Exchange preferences attached - any pointers appreciated!

Thanks,

Attached Files:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have a look here mate.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

This actually rings a bell and is something I have fixed before now. Just quickly, have you run the job using a different tape?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you updated the Backup Exec install with LiveUpdate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

thanks for the replies guys.

Si - must have visited there once too often recently. even if i scroll to the very very very bottom (!) it's blocked out. Seriously thinking about joining up with them!

WD - have tried different tapes

Sparks - yep. when it comes to backup exec it's the first thing i go for. some mock, but it's amazing what it cures :biggrin

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

1. Check your selections make sure they correspond to the UNC server path, not from the GIU but by doing this:

Edit > Manage Selection List > Select Job > Edit > Selections > View Selection Details

2. Deselect GRT and see if this makes a difference.

3. Give zee box a bounce mate :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Boycie, we're having the exact same problem as you... It's been happening for the last week now. If I find something I'll let you know. This also could of been pernaps a windows update or something like that... we're looking into it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Boycie - try now

9. Sparky

Yeah, thats why I always tell the guys in work to run it when a backup fails for no obvious reason.

Again sometimes a complete uninstall and reinstall of backup exec may fix it. All the backup jobs will still be there so dont stress about that.

Have you tried just backing up the Exchange stores in a test backup job?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. Sparky

If you follow a hyperlink it doesnt work. However it you google the thread title it works!

Mr Cheeks to the rescue! :biggrin

11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

So I was right in thinking it was a tape/tape drive issue then?

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/246967.htm

I think last time after spending ages trying to work out what it was, I tried a new tape and it worked :oops: (I know, stupid)

PS: IF you google the error message and backup exec 12.5 it brings you right back to this thread. lol.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

If all else fails restart the autoloader and then the Backup Exec 12.5 box as this would bring all the tapes back in line.

In the past this has worked for me, so might want to give it a try. Please, note most likely after carrying out the above you'd get an offline error message, just give the backup exec box a restart.

This works, but the downside is that it would automatically cancel any job that was queued. Best wishes and lets know how you get on:)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
    Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I know with previous backup exec versions it was very picky about drivers and if you werent using its drivers for the tape drive it can throw al kinds of weird errors.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Looks like after doing a liveupdate on BE 12.5 seems to have fixed the issue for us...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

guys,

thanks for the replies.

In this case, it's definately when the back up is run as one job. Full backup minus the store and a seperate backup of the store works fine. the tapes are also near their capacity when carrying out the job in one so have suggested a new set before going any further.

i'll keep you posted.

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

have you looked it see if the media is placed in the right media set on BE 12.5?