AVG Users

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by tripwire45, Aug 27, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My Norton Anti-Virus is coming up for renewal and I've been giving some serious thought to bagging Norton and using AVG instead for all my home computers (four including the laptop). Since I have a slow dial-up at home, I usually go to www.sarc.com and download the latest virus defs and save them on a thumb drive, then load the defs on my home computers. I use AVG on my work computer and it updates automatically every 48 hours. Can AVG defs be downloaded manually or do I have to depend on the automatic system? Also...be honest...will the AVG home edition *really* be as effective as a commercial anti-virus software package? Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i recently got a hold of avast anti-virus (HOME ed = freeware [though with occasional prompt to buy]) to install onto y flatmates machine, and anyone else who doesnt want to pay for AV software.

it certainly picks up all of the viral-infected emails he recieves (and its a fair amount), and updates the definitions on a weekly basis. hes scanned his pc once or twice with it, and it hasnt picked up any viruses on his system (but ive checked before with norton over the network (lol) and didnt pick any up either).

Avast is certainly a good one by the looks of things, cant speak for others.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I would have say i'm mighty impressed with this software, considering it's price tag. :biggrin

I've never had any problems with virus infections with it, it alway's seems to catch them. I know maybe 10 people that are running AVG at home, and not once have i got a call about any viruses.

HTH

Andy:biggrin

EDIT: corrected hillbilly sounding grammar lol :biggrin

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I didn't think they *had* hillbillies in Canada.
    :blink

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

nah there all here in ID ;)
    j/k lol
    *cough* mississippi *cough*

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

:offtopic Ok, ok...this is my fault. Back to the topic at hand, folks. :tune

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

topic?
    what was it?
    oh right

well i've installed AVG for a few folks, havnt seemed to have many problems from them since
    which is a shame coz i get £50 - £75 for virus removal and the same for spyware removal
    :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

......Post Hijack, hahahaha

Yup, lot's unfourtunatly, but I've learned lot's of hillbillie joke's, so that's ok I spose. lol

I would love to tell some, but probly to rude for the forum, lol

Andy

End of post hijack........ :biggrin (sorry, just had to get that out)

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok Punkboy...just for you: Link!

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

AVG = Mutts Nuts. Never let me down in 2 years, and even using on my PC at work as well now. Also - yeah - you can manually update it. Just download the latest deffs, then c&p them to the \Update (I believe) folder in your drive.

HTH. Virus-free AVG user:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I use AVG with no probs at all. To update manually right click the task tray icon, update manager, then update now. I don't bother with scheduled updates, I just check everytime before I go online.

As for Avast, I checked it out. It looked pretty good but I had some probs between it, Outlook XP and my firewall so I don't use it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

ive been using avg for a while now, ive no problems with it. It does the job

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST